Eglise St. Jean Baptiste Au BeguinageCurrently Closed
- Address: Place du Beguinage, Bruxelles, Belgium, Brussels
- Timings: 10:00 am - 05:00 pm Details
- Phone: +32-022178742
- Ticket Price: Free
- Time Required: 00:15 Mins
- Tags: Church, Religious Site, Family And Kids, Cathedral
The Beguines were lay women of medieval, not sworn to the church but associated to it. When in the 13th century their numbers swelled a Gothic church was built for them at this location. Here they wove wool and made lace, sustaining themselves. In the 17th century they contracted Lucas Faydherbe to renovate their church. So he built them a stunning Italian-Flemish style Baroque church, with a facade that is still considered to be Belgium’s most beautiful. Inside the church you will find paintings by various Flemish artists, a wooden Baroque pulpit, and wide aisles. Today the church helps out asylum seekers and provides them with small jobs, much like it did with Beguine women long ago.
- Times may not be accurate. Call the church before your visit.
- Buses 29, 66, 86, N04, N05, N06, N08, N09, N10, N11, N12, N13. N16 stop De Brouckere
- Subway Line 1 and 5 stop Sainte-Catherine
- Buses 86, 126, 127, 128, N16 stop Dansaert
- Bus N18 stop Begijnhof
Love this? Explore the entire list of things to do in Brussels before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Brussels and book an accommodation of your choice.
Very nice church, free to visit.
Best church in the street
The curch is very nice. It look extraordinary outside but in the front square there could be a lot of homeless people present so it could be unpleasant and I felt unsafe a bit. But church is magnificent.
Nice place where you can find some shows.