How to Reach Brussels
HOW TO GET TO BRUSSELS
- By Air: Brussels Airport serves most of Europe and most carriers. A train from the airport departs every 15 minutes to the city’s three main stations. STIB – Bus 12 and 21 run about twice an hour to the Schuman Metro Station (line 1 and line 5) for a max price of EUR 6 (EUR 4 if bought at the vending machine next to the bus stop) and is valid for practically all public transports for upto an hour. De Lijn-bus 272 and 471 run every 30-60 minutes to Brussels' North Station for EUR 3. Taxis will cost you EUR 35 to the centre. South Charleroi Airport served by a number of budget airlines. A EUR 14 shuttle bus runs from the airport to the Midi/Zuid Station. Journey takes an hour. Purchase tickets online. If going back to the airport, get into the bus queue at the station really early – about an hour before intended departure. Taxis will cost you EUR 90 to the city.
- By Train: Brussels has 3 stations, Midi-Zuid, Central, and Nord. All high speed trains serve only Midi/Zuid except for ICE with also serves Nord.
- Thalys: book cheaply in advance. Cologne (2 hours); Paris (1 hour 20 minutes); Amsterdam (2 hours); Intercity – no reservation needed; Connects to Luxemborg (3 hours); Eurostar – to Midi/Zuid; Lille (40 minutes); Ashford (1 hour 40 minutes); London (1 hour 50 minutes); ICE – connects to Frankfurt and cologne.
- By Bus : Practically everywhere important. Check Eurolines, Megabus, De Lijn and TEC for major destinations.
HOW TO GET AROUND BRUSSELS
- On Foot: The best way to explore the city of historic city is on foot. Most of the attractions in Brussels are close together, within a walking distance of one another. Many of the roads in the Old town are closed to cars. Brussels experiences heavy rainfall and it is absolutely essential to carry waterproof footwear.
- By Tram & Bus: Brussels is home to an intricate network of trams and busses that make it fairly easy to get around the city. The busses and trams have various stops marked with red-and-white signs, spread all throughout the city. It is essential to extend an arm and signal the driver to stop as the bus or the tram is approaching. The busses and trams are one of the cheapest and most efficient ways to get around the city.
- By Metro: Metro is a fast and efficient way to get around the city of Brussels. The metro like covers many city centre attractions, major tourist attractions, sights and connects the main city to the suburbs. Metro entrances are marked by big "M" signs in blue and white, with the station name underneath. Day passes are also available for the Brussels metro.
- By Taxi: Taxis are a convenient yet expensive mode of transport in Brussels. All taxis in Brussels are metered and it is important to make sure that the metre is set to the correct tariff before you start the trip. Tipping the taxi driver is not essential.
- By Bicycles: Bicycles are one of the best ways to explore the city of Brussels at your own pace. Companies like Villo run a bike sharing network with over 200 bike stations throughout the city. One can take a bike from any station and return it to a different station.
Know about the preferred mode of transport, average time spent and average distance traveled for commute in Brussels. The most preferred mode of transport in Brussels is Car.
Average distance: 11.58 km Average time: 33.86 min
Car 40%Driving 36.08 min Walking 1.29 min Overall average time for 17.98 kms 37.38 min
Walking 15%Walking 22.11 min Driving 4.22 min Waiting 3 min Train 2.78 min Bus 1.11 min Overall average time for 4.26 kms 33.22 min
Bike 8.33%Bike 16.2 min Overall average time for 3.64 kms 16.2 min
Train/Metro 15%Train 15.11 min Walking 6.56 min Waiting 4.33 min Other 1.56 min Bus 1.11 min Overall average time for 9.33 kms 28.67 min
Bus/Trolleybus 11.67%Bus 22.29 min Waiting 6.29 min Walking 5.43 min Train 3.57 min Overall average time for 8.24 kms 37.57 min
Tram/Streetcar 5%Tram 20 min Train 10 min Waiting 7.33 min Walking 4.33 min Other 3.33 min Bus 1 min Overall average time for 9.67 kms 46 min
|Brussels to Brussels||0.19 km|
|Anderlecht to Brussels||4.88 km||4 mins|
|Beersel to Brussels||10.78 km||10 mins|
|Machelen to Brussels||11.85 km||11 mins|
|Vilvoorde to Brussels||12.01 km||12 mins|
|Zaventem to Brussels||14.01 km||14 mins|
|Tervuren to Brussels||17.74 km||17 mins|
|Overijse to Brussels||22.2 km||22 mins|
|Limal to Brussels||30.27 km||30 mins|
|Duffel to Brussels||32.2 km||32 mins|