La Cambre Abbey, Brussels
About La Cambre Abbey, Brussels
La Cambre Abbey, Brussels - Address, Phone Number
Address: Abbaye de la Cambre, 1050 Ixelles, Belgium
Time Required: 01:30 Hrs
Timings: 07:30 am - 07:30 pm Details
Added 440 times in trip plans
Church, Garden, Historical Site, Monument, Family And Kids, Courtyard
Try TripHobo to create your itinerary
Are you associated with this business? Get in touch
Founded in 1196, this abbey had many smooth sailing years. In its good times it managed to accumulate the relics of Saint Boniface of Brussels and the leper Saint Alice of Schaerbeek. Then Brussels went to war or was warred on multiple time and the abbey kept getting destroyed. The French shut it down as entirely, after which it spent a while adopting different roles - a military hospital, a cotton mill, and a workhouse. Now its various buildings host the National School of Visual Arts and the National geographic Institute. The cute brick buildings also hold various government offices. A part of the building is even being used as a priory again.
- Monumental 18th century portal
- A classically styled courtyard
- A gothic church with various stylistic flourishes
- A 15th century cloister and chapel
- Stained glass windows
- Beautiful terraced gardens
- 16th century painting by Albert Bouts, The Mocking of Christ
How To reach La Cambre Abbey by Public Transport
- Trams 93, 94 stop Abbaye
- Trams 7, 94 stop Cambre-etoile
- Bus 107 stop Buyl
- Bus 71, 107, N09 stop Geo Bernier
- Drive to here.
Love this? Explore the entire list of things to do in Brussels before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Brussels and book an accommodation of your choice.
La Cambre Abbey, Brussels Reviews - Write a Review
Very nice and quiet Park, pretty church, not very well maintained buildings though.
You're missing out if you haven't been there.
Nice park and church
nice small city center park
Lieu magnifique peu connu dans Bruxelles, parfait pour les amoureux
- Nearby Attractions
- Islamic And Cultural Centre Of Belgium
- Bruxella 1238
- Bruxelles Midi / Brussel Zuid
- X2brussels Bed And Breakfast
- Tonton Garby
- Whole Foods Factory
- Juice Land
- Brussels Day-wise Trips
- What to See in 24 Hours in Brussels
- What to See in 48 Hours in Brussels
- What to See in 72 Hours in Brussels
- How to Spend 5 Days in Brussels
- How to Spend 6 Days in Brussels
- How to Spend 7 Days in Brussels