Home to the National Opera of Belgium, this one of the most important opera houses in Europe. The building you see here today is the third theatre on the site. It was built in 1856; the first theatre was built in 1700. The architecture mixes a lot of styles on both the exterior on both the outside and the inside, such as Eclectic, Neo-Baroque, Neo-Rococo and Neo-Renaissance. Gilded surfaces, huge chandeliers, and the incredible dome painting known as ‘Belgium Protecting the Arts’ decorate the insides. Beautiful paintings and sculptures adorn the walls and hallways. The shows themselves are everything you can expect from a world class institution.
- No admission after show has started.
- Turn mobiles off.
- No smoking
- Contact the organisation for possible guided tours.
- Prices depend on the show and location and can range from EUR 10 to EUR 130.
- Free for under 18.
- 25% discounts for seniors, disabled and unemployed.
- Other last minute discounts may be available.
Doors open 45 minutes before performance.
Times given here are for the in-person box office. Actual hours depend on the show.
- Tuesday to Friday: 12:00 noon to 6:00 pm
- Saturdays: 11:00 am to 6:00 pm
- One hour before show start.
- Closed on Sundays, apart from show start.
Rough Show Times
- Afternoon shows may start between 2:00pm and 3:00pm.
- Evening shows start between 6:30pm and 8:00pm.
- Tram 3, 4, 32 stop Bourse.
- Subway 1, 5 stop De Brouckere.
- Buses 29, 66, 71, 86, N04, N05, N06, N08, N09, N10, N11, N12, N13, N16, N18 stop Arenberg.
Love this? Explore the entire list of things to do in Brussels before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Brussels and book an accommodation of your choice.
Every first saturday of the month you can go for a visit behind the scene of this opera house that has a real stubborn but eye opening vision on how to bring opera on stage. The visit takes almost two hours and is really worth while the effort.
Programming not so great the last few years. But very good orchestra and choir.
visited only outside but great place to sit down
Beautiful opera venue, but very hot inside.
Beautiful place, very impressive layout and behind the scene explanation