Notre Dame Du Sablon, Brussels
About Notre Dame Du Sablon, Brussels
Notre Dame Du Sablon, Brussels - Address, Phone Number
Address: Rue de la Régence 3, 1000 Bruxelles, Belgium
Time Required: 01:00 Hrs
Timings: 09:00 am - 06:00 pm Details
Added 50.4K times in trip plans
Church, Religious Site, Family And Kids
Try TripHobo to create your itinerary
Are you associated with this business? Get in touch
Set in the beautiful and historic Sablon district, this 15th century Catholic Church has a Brabantine Gothic exterior and a rich interior that includes two Baroque Chapels. The church is one of the best in its style. The church is especially noted for the contrast in its brightly colored stained glass windows in the four fold gallery make with the more demure grey white building. The sight is said to be especially striking at night. The best part is that it is usually quiet – not thronged much with tourists.
A curiosity in the church is the statue of Madonna that was once upon a time stolen from Brussels and taken to Antwerp but retuned in 1348. Apparently the theft was commissioned by a local Beatrijs Soetkens by the Virgin Mary in a dream; the statue was purported miraculous.
Features to note are the Pillars without capital, increasing verticality, the statues of the 12 apostles, the trforium and its motifs, a brilliant triptych by the Michel Coxie, the Baroque Pulpits and the reliquary of Saint Wivina.
Notre Dame Du Sablon Information
- There’s an antique market just outside the church.
- Check out the neighbourhood outside the church and the squares. It’s a popular tourist hang out of itself, and there are a bunch of statues to see.
Notre Dame Du Sablon Ticket Prices
- Entry is free.
- Donations are appreciated.
Notre Dame Du Sablon Opening and Closing Hours
- For prayer and mass timings ask locally.
How To reach Notre Dame Du Sablon by Public Transport
- By Bus: Petit Sablon bus station has buses 27, 95, N04 and other stopping by.
- By Tram: Trams 92 and 93 stops at Petit Sablon light rail station.
- By renting or hiring a car/taxi.
Restaurants Near Notre Dame Du Sablon
- Les Petits Oignons
- Sister Act
- Claire Fontaine
- Comic’s Cafe
Love this? Explore the entire list of things to do in Brussels before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Brussels and book an accommodation of your choice.
Notre Dame Du Sablon, Brussels Reviews - Write a Review
I was really impressed. I think it's best to be visited morning when sun finds its way through the stained glass windows.
Our Blessed Lady of the Sablon Church is very beautiful big Catholic church in late Gotic style! It dates back from the 15th century. The interior is worth a visit! It is characterized by its late Brabantine Gothic exterior and rich interior decoration including two Baroque chapels.
Nice upper-class church. The heater is on whenever it's cold outdoor which makes it cosy too.
Really beautiful relocated's church dedicated to Our Lady
Another architectural marvel and tucked away gem of Brussels.
- Nearby Attractions
- Radisson Blu Royal Hotel Brussels
- European Commission
- Youth Hostel Luxembourg City
- City Center Apartments
- Parking Grand Place (992)
- Place Sainte-gudule
- Brussels Day-wise Trips
- What to See in 24 Hours in Brussels
- What to See in 48 Hours in Brussels
- What to See in 72 Hours in Brussels
- How to Spend 5 Days in Brussels
- How to Spend 6 Days in Brussels
- How to Spend 7 Days in Brussels