Place Des MartyrsCurrently Open
- Address: Place des Martyrs 1000 Bruxelles Belgium, Brussels
- Timings: 24-hrs Details
- Ticket Price: Free
- Time Required: 00:15 Mins
- Tags: Walking Area, Historical Site, Memorial, Monument, Square, Family And Kids
Before hundreds of people died in the September days of the Belgian Revolution in 1830, this place used to be known as Place de Saint Michel, where markets and fairs were held. 400 hundred of those martyrs lie buried in a crypt beneath your feet here, some of whom died right here. There are two monuments to the fallen at the opposite ends of the square, one to Frederic de Merode and the other named Jenneval. The buildings surrounding the square are neoclassical, and some house branches of the Flemish Government.
How to Reach Place Des Martyrs
- Buses 29, 66, 86, N04, N05, N06, N08, N09, N10, N11, N12, N13. N16 stop De Brouckere.
- Subway 1, 5 stop De Brouckere.
- Buses 29, 66, 71, 86, N04, N05, N06, N08, N09, N10, N11, N12, N13, N16, N18 stop Arenberg.
- Subway 2, 6, stop Rogier.
Love this? Explore the entire list of places to visit in Brussels before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Brussels and book an accommodation of your choice.
0.22% of people who visit Brussels include Place Des Martyrs in their plan
33.33% of people start their Place Des Martyrs visit around 12 PM
People usually take around 30 Minutes to see Place Des Martyrs
95% of people prefer walking in order to reach Place Des Martyrs