Place Saint-geryCurrently Open
- Address: Place Saint-Géry 1, 1000 Bruxelles, Belgium, Brussels Map
- Timings: 24-hrs Details
- Phone: +32-25024424
- Time Required: 01:00 Hrs
- Tags: Square, Family And Kids
The Place Saint-Grey is a square with an old and illustrious history. It used to be a tiny island in the middle of a river, and in 580, a chapel was built here. By the 10th century, the chapel had become a Gothic church housing the remains of St. Gudula. Thanks to the island’s great strategic location, a fort was built by the Duke of Lower Lotharingia, marking the beginning of Brussels, though nothing of that fort exists now. As Brussels grew, so did the presence of watermills and fishmongers. The church was razed to the ground in the 18th century by the French, and replaced by a fountain and obelisk, and the square became an open air market. In the 19th century the river was filled in. A covered market, the Halles Saint-Géry, was built on the square, enclosing the fountain. That is the neo-Renaissance building you see here today. There is no market inside anymore, but a cafe-bar, a club, and an exhibition center.
Today, the location serves as Brussels’ kilometre zero.
Entrance Ticket Details For Place Saint-gery
- Entry is free.
Place Saint-gery Hours
- Open 7 days a week.
How to Reach Place Saint-gery
- Buses 86, N04, N05, N06, N08, N09, N10, N11, N12, N13, N16 stop Bourse
- Trams 3, 4, 32 stop Bourse
- Subway 1, 5 stop De Brouckere
Love this? Explore the entire list of places to visit in Brussels before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Brussels and book an accommodation of your choice.
- Place Saint-gery Address: Place Saint-Géry 1, 1000 Bruxelles, Belgium, Brussels
- Place Saint-gery Contact Number: +32-25024424
- Place Saint-gery Timing: 24-hrs
- Best time to visit Place Saint-gery(preferred time): 10:00 am - 06:00 pm
- Time required to visit Place Saint-gery: 01:00 Hrs
- Try the best online travel planner to plan your travel itinerary!
1.49% of people who visit Brussels include Place Saint-gery in their plan
10 AM - 11 AM
35.29% of people start their Place Saint-gery visit around 10 AM - 11 AM
People usually take around 1 Hr to see Place Saint-gery
93.55% of people prefer to travel by car while visiting Place Saint-gery
People normally club together C'est Bon C'est Belge and Bistro Du Canal while planning their visit to Place Saint-gery.