Sonian Forest, Brussels
About Sonian Forest, Brussels
Sonian Forest, Brussels - Address
Address: Sonian Forest Belgium
Time Required: 03:00 Hrs
Timings: 24-hrs Details
Added 18.3K times in trip plans
Outdoors, Forest, Family And Kids, Nature
Try TripHobo to create your itinerary
Are you associated with this business? Get in touch
The 4000 hectares of this forest are known as Brussell's Lung. It's a part of the ancient Charcoal Forest, full of old beeches and oaks. It used to be much larger, but Napoleon's wars and later industrialisation seriously cut down its size. It's got a lovely mystic atmosphere that makes for lots of contemplative walking. That, jogging, cycling and even horse-riding its trails are the most common activities, but the forest does have a lot else to offer. Check out the following highlights:
- Try and catch sight of: toads, newts, fire salamanders; birds like nuthatch, short-toed treecreeper, great spotted woodpecker, Goldcrest, kingfisher, winter wren; deer, bats, red squirrels, wild boar; various mushrooms and fish
- The map of the forest on the attraction website will give you detailed eating spots
- Check the forest website for fishing spots and related permissions
- Various lodgings are available
- The Bosmuseum Jan Van Ruusbroec (Forest Museum Jan Van Ruusbroec)-old farmstead
- The Royal Museum for Central Africa (RMCA)-huge ethnographic colleciton from central africa
- Rouge-Cloître Abbey-currently an exhibition space
- The Castle of La Hulpe Parks
- The Folon Foundation-nice artwork-watercolours, sculptures.
- The Spanish House
Sonian Forest Information
- Download a map of the forest from the attraction website.
- Keep dogs on leash.
- No plucking anything or disturbing/disfiguring the environment.
- Don't go off path.
How To reach Sonian Forest by Public Transport
- By car
- Take a taxi
- Take take Metro 5 stop Herrmann-Debroux station; walk to the Rouge-Cloître Abbey
- Bus line 41, 72 stop Herrmann-Debroux
- Train to Groenendaal Station from Brussels Central Station
Love this? Explore the entire list of things to do in Brussels before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Brussels and book an accommodation of your choice.
Sonian Forest, Brussels Reviews - Write a Review
Ideal for those who have a full day for mountain biking without getting lost. You simply drive back into the city to take a snack. Take a moment with the beautiful views and search the old chapels. Just a few tourists come here.
Beautiful and quiet. Nice for a walk or bike ride. Starting with a map will help!
Great place to escape the city and enjoy some nature. Never get bored of running around there. Also includes multiple marked walking and running trails.
truly beautiful forest, especially in autumn.
Mal entretenue, essentiellement composée de hêtres, sujette à des coupes à blanc aléatoires où les ronces et orties ont ensuite champ libre... Cette forêt est très décevante, mais elle a le grand mérite d'exister!
- Nearby Attractions
- Eglise De Saint-gilles
- Market Place Du Chatelain
- Place Flagey
- Stockel Square
- La Cambre Abbey
- Musee Wiertz
- Royal Palace Of Laeken
- Rue Antoine Dansaert
- Congress Column
- The Cauchie House
- Brussels Day-wise Trips
- What to See in 24 Hours in Brussels
- What to See in 48 Hours in Brussels
- What to See in 72 Hours in Brussels
- How to Spend 5 Days in Brussels
- How to Spend 6 Days in Brussels
- How to Spend 7 Days in Brussels