The 4000 hectares of this forest are known as Brussell's Lung. It's a part of the ancient Charcoal Forest, full of old beeches and oaks. It used to be much larger, but Napoleon's wars and later industrialisation seriously cut down its size. It's got a lovely mystic atmosphere that makes for lots of contemplative walking. That, jogging, cycling and even horse-riding its trails are the most common activities, but the forest does have a lot else to offer. Check out the following highlights:
- Try and catch sight of: toads, newts, fire salamanders; birds like nuthatch, short-toed treecreeper, great spotted woodpecker, Goldcrest, kingfisher, winter wren; deer, bats, red squirrels, wild boar; various mushrooms and fish
- The map of the forest on the attraction website will give you detailed eating spots
- Check the forest website for fishing spots and related permissions
- Various lodgings are available
- The Bosmuseum Jan Van Ruusbroec (Forest Museum Jan Van Ruusbroec)-old farmstead
- The Royal Museum for Central Africa (RMCA)-huge ethnographic colleciton from central africa
- Rouge-Cloître Abbey-currently an exhibition space
- The Castle of La Hulpe Parks
- The Folon Foundation-nice artwork-watercolours, sculptures.
- The Spanish House
Also, visit the popular attractions in the city by following Brussels itinerary 2 days.
Sonian Forest Travel Tips
- Download a map of the forest from the attraction website.
- Keep dogs on leash.
- No plucking anything or disturbing/disfiguring the environment.
- Don't go off path.
How to Reach Sonian Forest
- By car
- Take a taxi
- Take take Metro 5 stop Herrmann-Debroux station; walk to the Rouge-Cloître Abbey
- Bus line 41, 72 stop Herrmann-Debroux
- Train to Groenendaal Station from Brussels Central Station
Love this? Explore the entire list of places to visit in Brussels before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Brussels and book an accommodation of your choice.
21.44% of people who visit Brussels include Sonian Forest in their plan
07 AM - 08 AM
45.81% of people start their Sonian Forest visit around 07 AM - 08 AM
People usually take around 3 Hrs to see Sonian Forest
93.2% of people prefer to travel by car while visiting Sonian Forest