Sunset Point727 Votes Currently Open
- Address: Bryce Canyon National Park, Utah, United States
- Phone: +1-4358345322
- Time Required: 01:00 Hrs
- Tags: Outdoors, View Point, Hiking Trail, Nature
Sunset Point offers views of some of the most breathtaking Bryce Canyon's hoodoos. Directly below the point towards the south, the Silent City rises from the canyon floor and a maze of hoodoos and fins can be seen tightly packed in a formation. Just below the overlook on the northern edge, you will find Thor's Hammer standing alone. The colors of Bryce Canyon's rock are best displayed from Sunset Point. Also called the Claron Formation, this unique rock is primarily composed of limestone deposited approximately 50 million years ago. It was deposited in a large freshwater lake, known to geologists as Lake Claron. Iron oxide minerals are the reason behind the vibrant red, oranges, and yellows of the lower half of the cliffs which geologists refer to as the Pink Member. As its geological name suggests, here too patches of pink and purple caused by manganese oxides add to the present rainbow of color. The change from orange to white marks the beginning of the Upper Member.
Sunset Point Travel Tips
- Do not take the hike if you are physically unfit.
- Carry water with you.
- Carry wind-cheaters just in case it starts to rain.
- Keep your cameras handy.
Entrance Ticket Details For Sunset Point
- Only prices to the Bryce Canyon National Park apply.
Sunset Point Hours
- Only hours to the Bryce Canyon National Park apply. For additional hours like for the trail and overnight visit, please contact the visitor centre.
- Recommended time to visit: 8:00 am-5:00 pm
How to Reach Sunset Point
- Take the shuttle service to Bryce Canyon National Park.
Love this? Explore the entire list of places to visit in Bryce Canyon National Park before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Bryce Canyon National Park and book an accommodation of your choice.
52.57% of people who visit Bryce Canyon National Park include Sunset Point in their plan
09 AM - 10 AM
27.91% of people start their Sunset Point visit around 09 AM - 10 AM
People usually take around 1 Hr to see Sunset Point
92.86% of people prefer to travel by car while visiting Sunset Point