- Address: Bryce Canyon National Park, Utah, United States
- Phone: +1-4358345322
- Time Required: 01:00 Hrs
- Tags: Outdoors, View Point, Hiking Trail, Nature
About Sunset Point, Bryce Canyon National Park
Sunset Point offers views of some of the most breathtaking Bryce Canyon's hoodoos. Directly below the point towards the south, the Silent City rises from the canyon floor and a maze of hoodoos and fins can be seen tightly packed in a formation. Just below the overlook on the northern edge, you will find Thor's Hammer standing alone. The colors of Bryce Canyon's rock are best displayed from Sunset Point. Also called the Claron Formation, this unique rock is primarily composed of limestone deposited approximately 50 million years ago. It was deposited in a large freshwater lake, known to geologists as Lake Claron. Iron oxide minerals are the reason behind the vibrant red, oranges, and yellows of the lower half of the cliffs which geologists refer to as the Pink Member. As its geological name suggests, here too patches of pink and purple caused by manganese oxides add to the present rainbow of color. The change from orange to white marks the beginning of the Upper Member.
Sunset Point Information
- Do not take the hike if you are physically unfit.
- Carry water with you.
- Carry wind-cheaters just in case it starts to rain.
- Keep your cameras handy.
Sunset Point Ticket Prices
- Only prices to the Bryce Canyon National Park apply.
Sunset Point Opening and Closing Hours
- Only hours to the Bryce Canyon National Park apply. For additional hours like for the trail and overnight visit, please contact the visitor centre.
- Recommended time to visit: 8:00 am-5:00 pm
How To reach Sunset Point by Public Transport
- Take the shuttle service to Bryce Canyon National Park.
Love this? Explore the entire list of things to do in Bryce Canyon National Park before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Bryce Canyon National Park and book an accommodation of your choice.
Things to Know Before Visiting Sunset Point
95% of people who visit Bryce Canyon National Park include Sunset Point in their plan
3 PM - 4 PM
32.49% of people start their Sunset Point visit around 3 PM - 4 PM
People usually take around 1 Hr to see Sunset Point
91.76% of people prefer to travel by car while visiting Sunset Point
Sunset Point Map
Sunset Point Trips
Sunset Point, Bryce Canyon National Park Reviews
A must visit place. Much smaller in scale than the Grand Canyon but very beautiful views. It has pinkish hue to it. Best part is we can easily go for a short trek till the lower trail point. it gives many photo opportunities. Sunset and sunrise moments are precious. Even kids can try the short trek.
Beautiful views. The paved trail between this and sunrise point is dog friendly. About a mile round trip but views were nice.
Beautiful short hike. Was able to take the dogs too which is nice.
One of the best views in the park. Easily accessible!
The sun sets behind you as you stand at Sunset Point and quickly wipes away from the rocks in the canyon below. Once it sets, wait and watch for the colorful glow of the sun's shadow wiping upwards through the atmosphere on the opposite horizon. If you are lucky and the weather/timing are right, you can also catch the moon rising...
All QuestionsSunset point
- Bryce Canyon National Park Itinerary 1 Day
- Bryce Canyon National Park Itinerary 2 Days
- Bryce Canyon National Park Itinerary 3 Days
- Bryce Canyon National Park Itinerary 4 Days
- Bryce Canyon National Park Itinerary 5 Days
- Bryce Canyon National Park Itinerary 6 Days
- Bryce Canyon National Park Itinerary 7 Days