Capital of Romania, also the main cultural, industrial, and financial centre. The city is home to nearly two million people. Founded in the early 15th century, the city has unfortunately lost much of its charming past.
It is known there were settlements here since antiquity. The Old Princely Court, the ruins of which can still be seen, was erected in the mid-16th century. Eventually, it became the centre of the Wallachia. Several disasters, natural and man-made led to the city having to be rebuilt multiple times. The most notable of these were the 1847 fire, the communist rule, and the 1977 earthquake.
Many important treaties have been signed here, both to end wars and forge alliances. Bucharest became the nation’s capital in 1862, with the merger of Wallachia and Moldavia under King Carol I. It grew quickly for the next 70 years. Communism took hold from 1947 and was overthrown in 1989.
Essential travel information and Bucharest tips for your visit
- Eastern European Time Zone UTC+02:00
- Lei. Subunits are called ban
Electricity and Internet:
- European dual round-pronged plugs.
- Get a plug adaptor for non-European stuff
- Power converter may be required for devices of lesser voltage
- Voltage: 230V, 50Hz
- Romanian,Hungarian, English, Lithuanian, Bulgarian, Serbo-Croatian, Russian, Slovak, Romani, Ukrainian, and German.
- 112 is the general emergency number.
- National Museum of Old Maps and Books
- Macca Villacrosse Passage
- Belly Cemetery
- Hanul lui Manuc
- Always tip waiters 10% of bill
- Hotel porter: 2 lei
- Hotel maid: 4 lei
- Spa staff: 10%
- Tour guides: 20 lei per day
- Taxis: Don’t tip, but round up the fair.
- Palace of Parliament
- Village Museum (Muzeul Satului)
- Peasant Museum (Muzeul Taranului Roman
- Smoking banned in public
- No controversial conversation - religion, sex, politics and economics
- Don’t equate Romanians to gypsies
- Don’t bring up Hungary
- Don’t litter
- Think twice before declining an invitation.
- Open doors for ladies, but let them pay their share of the bill.
Bucharest Trip Planner
Plan your customized day by day trip plan for Bucharest. Choose from various experinces categories as adventure, romantic and family and kids friendly for your trip using using Bucharest trip planner.
The best tours and activities in the city, guided by experts to give you a local insight to the best of Bucharest
Save 5%Veliko Tarnovo One Day Tour from BucharestNew on TripHobo
Save 4%Bran -Dracula and Peles Castle One Day Trip from Bucharest for Small GroupNew on TripHobo
Save 5%Cultural Trip to the Transylvanian AlpsNew on TripHobo
Save 5%Bucharest Otopeni(OTP) airport transfer with Mercedes Vito Minivan up to 7 seatsNew on TripHobo
Save 5%Bucharest Otopeni(OTP) airport transfer with MiniVan Up to 7 seatsNew on TripHobo
Save 7%Private Chauffeur Services in Bucharest for 7 seats-The lowest price guaranteedNew on TripHobo