Old TownCurrently Open
- Address: Old Town, Bucharest, Romania
- Timings: 24-hrs Details
- Ticket Price: Free
- Time Required: 03:00 Hrs
- Tags: Family And Kids, Town
Old Town - Review
It can be hard for outsiders to understand why this historic Center is so precious to the people of Romania. You see, this is practically all that Romanians have left of their pre-World War II capital. Allied bombing destroyed much of the original city. And if that was not enough the Communist dictator Nicolae Ceausescu compounded that loss of heritage by building his extravagant Palace. From the 17th century to the early 20th, this area was home to town merchants. After the merchants were evicted by communists the gypsies moved in. And it is the Gypsy tradition and influence that is most visible here today. Most of the buildings only date from the 17th century as there was a great fire in the neighborhood at that time. A walking tour of this area should include:
- Lipscani Lane
- The various tradecraft streets-Blanari (Furriers), Selari (Saddlers) or Bacani (Grocers)
- The 17th century Hanul lui Manuc (Manuc’s Inn)-the last caravanserai of the South-Eastern Europe
- The Hanul cu Tei (The Linden Inn)-Art and Antiquities galleries
- The She Wolf statue in the Square at the entrance of Lipscani Street
- Caru’ cu Bere Restaurant
- The National Library of Romania
Also, visit the popular attractions in the city by following Bucharest itinerary 1 day.
Old Town Ticket Prices
- Individual establishments may have their own admission fees.
Old Town Hours
- Individual establishments may have their own opening and closing hours.
How To reach Old Town by Public Transport
- By Metro: M1, M2, M3 line stop Piata Unirii
- By Trams: 5, 16 and 21 stop Piata Sf. Gheorghe
- By Bus: 381 stop Piata Sfantul Gheorghe
- By Bus: 61, 66, 69, 70, 85, 90, 91, 336, 610 stop Universitate
Love this? Explore the entire list of things to do in Bucharest before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Bucharest and book an accommodation of your choice.
Things to Know Before Visiting Old Town
93.55% of people who visit Bucharest include Old Town in their plan
11 AM - 12 PM
23.37% of people start their Old Town visit around 11 AM - 12 PM
People usually take around 3 Hrs to see Old Town
62.2% of people prefer walking in order to reach Old Town
Old Town Trips
1 View13 Days 12 Nights13 Day Trip to Nairobi, Mombasa, Addis Ababa, Djibouti from OttawaBy: Guest UserCity: Nairobi, Mombasa, Addis Ababa, Djibouti
4 Views13 Days 12 Nights13 Day Trip to Nairobi, Mombasa, Djibouti, Addis Ababa from OttawaBy: Guest UserCity: Nairobi, Mombasa, Addis Ababa, Djibouti