Stavropoleos MonasteryCurrently Open [Closes at 07:00 pm]
- Address: Strada Stavropoleos 4, București, Romania, Bucharest
- Timings: 08:00 am - 07:00 pm Details
- Phone: +40-213134747
- Ticket Price: Free
- Time Required: 00:30 Mins
- Tags: Religious Site, Family And Kids, Monastery
This Eastern Orthodox monastery for nuns, built in Brancovenesc style, was constructed in 1724 by archimandrite Ioanichie Stratonikeas. The monastery was built around the simple inn, which eventually gained great prestige as a place of prayer. Unfortunately much of the monastery was demolished first in the 19th century earthquake, and then from sheer disrepair. All that remains of it now are the church and the library, but these are treasures enough. During your visit make sure to check out:
- The restored painted dome
- Religious artefacts and icons preserved from communist demolition of other churches, including the famous Tree of Life icon
- The beautiful frescoes
- The irreplaceable library collection of theology, byzantine music, arts and history.
Try and visit the church during times of musical service, which is conducted in neo-Byzantine tradition. Also, visit the popular attractions in the city by following Bucharest itinerary 1 day.
- Opening hours given are based on times of prayer. Actual visiting hours may be different. Contact the attraction before your visit.
- 61, 66, 69, 70, 85, 90, 91, 336, 610 stop Universitate
- 104, 123, 124, 385, N110, N115 stop Autogara Double T
By Metro: M2 line stop Universitate or PiaÃÃÃ‚ˆ›a Unirii 2
Love this? Explore the entire list of things to do in Bucharest before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Bucharest and book an accommodation of your choice.
85.88% of people who visit Bucharest include Stavropoleos Monastery in their plan
10 AM - 11 AM
37.24% of people start their Stavropoleos Monastery visit around 10 AM - 11 AM
People usually take around 30 Minutes to see Stavropoleos Monastery
53.42% of people prefer walking in order to reach Stavropoleos Monastery
Was good but could be nicer
Good hotel, but the lights don't work sometimes and the orange juice at breakfast could be better.
Nice hotel near to center (10 minutes by walk).
Restaurant staff was INCREDIBLY rude, without any reason or provocation. Ive never been treated so terribly in a restaurant.
Quiet and staff were very polite and helpful