Stavropoleos Monastery1217 Votes Currently Open
- Address: Strada Stavropoleos 4, București, Romania, Bucharest
- Timings: 08:00 am - 07:00 pm Details
- Phone: +40-213134747
- Time Required: 00:30 Mins
- Tags: Religious Site, Family And Kids, Monastery
This Eastern Orthodox monastery for nuns, built in Brancovenesc style, was constructed in 1724 by archimandrite Ioanichie Stratonikeas. The monastery was built around the simple inn, which eventually gained great prestige as a place of prayer. Unfortunately much of the monastery was demolished first in the 19th century earthquake, and then from sheer disrepair. All that remains of it now are the church and the library, but these are treasures enough. During your visit make sure to check out:
- The restored painted dome
- Religious artefacts and icons preserved from communist demolition of other churches, including the famous Tree of Life icon
- The beautiful frescoes
- The irreplaceable library collection of theology, byzantine music, arts and history.
Try and visit the church during times of musical service, which is conducted in neo-Byzantine tradition. Also, visit the popular attractions in the city by following Bucharest itinerary 1 day.
Stavropoleos Monastery Hours
- Opening hours given are based on times of prayer. Actual visiting hours may be different. Contact the attraction before your visit.
How to Reach Stavropoleos Monastery
- 61, 66, 69, 70, 85, 90, 91, 336, 610 stop Universitate
- 104, 123, 124, 385, N110, N115 stop Autogara Double T
By Metro: M2 line stop Universitate or PiaÃÃÃ‚ˆ›a Unirii 2
Love this? Explore the entire list of places to visit in Bucharest before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Bucharest and book an accommodation of your choice.
64.8% of people who visit Bucharest include Stavropoleos Monastery in their plan
10 AM - 11 AM
37.24% of people start their Stavropoleos Monastery visit around 10 AM - 11 AM
People usually take around 30 Minutes to see Stavropoleos Monastery
53.42% of people prefer walking in order to reach Stavropoleos Monastery
Stavropoleos Monastery Reviews & Ratings
When it is available to visit the church?25 January is it easy?Answer Report Abuse
There are no specific visiting hours of the Stavropoleos Monastery. But, I suggest you visit after 9:00 AM and before 6:00 PM. The monastery is usually not too crowded with visitors. So it might be easy to visit on 25th January or any other day.Report Abuse