Buda Castle8296 Votes Currently Open
- Address: 1014 Budapest, Szent György tér 2, Hungary
- Timings: 10:00 am - 06:00 pm Details
- Phone: +361-4583000
- Time Required: 03:00 Hrs
- Tags: Castle, Historical Site, Architecture , Fountain, Sculpture
The Hungarian lords in Budapest were housed by the iconic Buda Castle. This beautiful building was built in 1265. The place initially was called Royal Palace or the Royal Castle. Constructed at the southern tip of Castle Hill, and flanked in the north by Castle District or Várnegyed, the medieval castle is sure to be an interesting pit stop in Budapest. The castles, crypts and other historic site also make it a great tourist spot that will surely keep you enthralled for hours.
The castle is a UNESCO World Heritage site, but it has a rather tragic and violent history. It has been destroyed, damaged and rebuilt many times. At one point of time parts of the castle had to be excavated to find whatever vestiges of the site that could be salvaged from the ruins.
Today, the castle which has considerably lost its past glory still stands tall. The premises include a Historical Museum as well as a Gallery. The stories about the castle are extremely intriguing and to see it is certain to be an engaging experience. Do put it on your list if you love history and culture.
Don’t forget to see Matthias Fountain that is located inside the premise. The striking feature of the fountain is the sculptures. The fountain includes the sculpture of King Matthias standing in front of a slain deer. At his feet, three large hunting dogs, his gamekeeper and his shield bearer. History says that the sculpture was built in 1904 by a renowned sculptor Alajos Stróbl.
Buda Castle Travel Tips
- The Buda Castle doesn’t exactly have opening hours. You can be in the premises any time you like. But the buildings are mostly closed after dark.
- Additionally, there is no fee required to visit the castle during the day. The museums and the gallery and other museums around will have admission fees though.
- There are quite a few places of interest around the castle so do visit them all.
How to Reach Buda Castle
- 1014 Budapest
- Aranyaszarvas Vendeglo
Love this? Explore the entire list of places to visit in Budapest before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Budapest and book an accommodation of your choice.
80.95% of people who visit Budapest include Buda Castle in their plan
10 AM - 11 AM
65.04% of people start their Buda Castle visit around 10 AM - 11 AM
People usually take around 3 Hrs to see Buda Castle
69.19% of people prefer walking in order to reach Buda Castle