Dohany Street Synagogue2186 Votes Currently Open
- Address: Budapest, Dohány u. 2, 1074 Hungary Map
- Timings: 10:00 am - 07:00 pm Details
- Phone: +36-13430420
- Ticket Price: 3000 HUF
- Time Required: 02:00 Hrs
- Tags: Architecture , Specialty Museums, Synagogue
The Great Central Synagogue and the National Jewish Museum are both housed in the same building. Initially the Synagogue was housed here and later in 1931, the museum was added. The building is in the shape of twin towers and after the restoration that took place in 1930, it has become all the more glorious. Jews have had a very painful past in Budapest, specially after the German invasion. The National Museum is a dedication to the ordeal that they went through and a representation of their existence in the past times. Central Synagogue as mentioned earlier has flourished as one of the top Budapest attractions and also as the main worship place for Jews since time immemorial. In the rear courtyard, you will also come across a holocaust memorial called Raoul Wallenberg Holocaust Memorial Park that gives an insight into the unfortunate events that the Jews had to go through.
It is said to be the hidden gem of Dohany Street. According to the history, the memorial was built in honor of the 400,000 Jews who were killed by Nazi. As you observe the memorial minutely, you will notice that it is constructed in the form of weeping willow. Such marvelous concept was created by Imre Varga.
Dohany Street Synagogue Travel Tips
- For group visit, prior appointment is required.
- During prayer timings, public visit is not allowed in the Synagogue.
Entrance Ticket Details For Dohany Street Synagogue
- Adults: 3000 HUF
- Students: 2000 HUF
- For group visit: Ticket price may vary. Check the official website.
Dohany Street Synagogue Hours
- The Museum may be closed on certain days like the Holocaust Remembrance Day.
How to Reach Dohany Street Synagogue
- Take subway M1 (yellow) / M2 (red) / M3 (blue) to Deak ter station, then walk on Karoly korut towards Astoria.
- Belvarosi Lugas
Love this? Explore the entire list of places to visit in Budapest before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Budapest and book an accommodation of your choice.
- Dohany Street Synagogue Address: Budapest, Dohány u. 2, 1074 Hungary
- Dohany Street Synagogue Contact Number: +36-13430420
- Dohany Street Synagogue Timing: 10:00 am - 07:00 pm
- Dohany Street Synagogue Price: 3000 HUF
- Best time to visit Dohany Street Synagogue(preferred time): 11:00 am - 03:30 pm
- Time required to visit Dohany Street Synagogue: 02:00 Hrs
- Try the best online travel planner to plan your travel itinerary!
18.62% of people who visit Budapest include Dohany Street Synagogue in their plan
3 PM - 4 PM
38.46% of people start their Dohany Street Synagogue visit around 3 PM - 4 PM
People usually take around 2 Hrs to see Dohany Street Synagogue
69.85% of people prefer to travel by car while visiting Dohany Street Synagogue
People normally club together St Stephens Basilica and House Of Terror while planning their visit to Dohany Street Synagogue.