Ethnographic Museum, Budapest
About Ethnographic Museum, Budapest
Ethnographic Museum, Budapest - Address, Phone Number, Ticket Price
Address: Budapest, Kossuth Lajos tér 12, 1055 Hungary
Ticket Price: 1000 HUF
Time Required: 03:00 Hrs
Timings: 10:00 am - 06:00 pm Details
Added 942 times in trip plans
Museum, Family And Kids
Try TripHobo to create your itinerary
Are you associated with this business? Get in touch
The Ethnographic Museum in Hungary is one of the oldest museums in the city. Even though it separated from the National Museum in the year 1947, it has done a great job in maintaining its distinct identity. It moved to its building in Kossuth Square in the same year and has displayed various interesting objects ever since. There are objects from Romania and Slovakia here which have added the Hungarian glory even more. The place mainly gives you an insight into the day to day Hungarian life before World War II and has various items that were used back then. You will find ornaments, boats, costumes and furniture of that time.
Ethnographic Museum Information
- The museum is accessible for disabled visitors.
Ethnographic Museum Ticket Prices
- Given tickets are for permanent exhibition (for adults).
- Free admission day: Hungarian Culture Day, Day of Museum of Ethnography, National holiday, International Museum Day, National holiday, Cultural Heritage Day
Other tickets of permanent exhibition(discounts for citizens of European Economic Region):
- Visitors (between 6 -26): 500HUF
- Visitors (between 62 -70): 500HUF
- One or two close relatives of at least two visitors under the age of 18: 500HUF/ person.
- Free admission: Children under the age of 6, Senior citizens over 70 years of age, Visitors with disabilities accompanied by an escort, every first Sunday of each month for visitors under 26 and children under 18 with max. 2 accompanying adults
Ethnographic Museum Opening and Closing Hours
- The museum will be closed from 29th to 30th April due to technical reason.
- Open on National Holiday, Easter Sunday, Easter Monday, 1st May, Whit Sunday, Whit Monday, St. Stephen’s Day, National holiday, 1st November.
How To reach Ethnographic Museum by Public Transport
- Nearby bus station: Marko utca
Love this? Explore the entire list of things to do in Budapest before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Budapest and book an accommodation of your choice.
Ethnographic Museum, Budapest Reviews - Write a Review
We ended up here while waiting for our Parliament tour to start and were pleasantly surprised by this little museum across the plaza from Parliament. There is a permanent exhibit upstairs and an exhibit of world press photography on the mail level. (the press photos were spectacular btw!! ) Plus this is a beautiful building! The permanent exhibit was all about rural Hungarian culture over the years with extensive photography of peasant life at the turn of the last century. My grandparents left Eastern Europe in 1921 and it was interesting to see photography of how they might have lived before they came to the states. This was well worth the 90 minutes we spent here
Disappointed with the the museum. It was recommended in our guide book but did not find it engaging. Only spent about twenty minutes inside.
Really beautiful building, which was the palace of justice until around WWII. (The building itself was the runner-up in the competition to design the parliament building at the end of the 19th century.) The ethnographic exhibit is extensive.
shoes shoes...loads of shoes. Kind of expensive. should deffo have been part of the budapest card but was not. 2nd level was better. Loads of things on display...but 2800 huf was a bit steep. should at least have discounts for budapest card holders. Nice and clean toilets.
Very nice building. The exhibition is not that great, but good place for first rendezvous.
- Nearby Attractions
- Golden Eagle Pharmacy Museum
- Alexandra Konyveshaz - Parizsi Nagyaruhaz
- Comedy Theatre Of Budapest
- Hunyadi Ter
- Petofi Hid
- Titok Galeria Secret Gallery
- Statue Of Mounted Andras Hadik
- Statue Of Grof Karolyi Sandor
- Rumbach Street Synagogue
- Budapest Day-wise Trips
- What to See in 24 Hours in Budapest
- What to See in 48 Hours in Budapest
- What to See in 72 Hours in Budapest
- How to Spend 5 Days in Budapest
- How to Spend 6 Days in Budapest
- How to Spend 7 Days in Budapest