The first thought that comes to a person’s mind after saying Buffalo is chicken wings and in a way a number of long suffering sports teams. But, once you give it a chance you will learn that it is a lot more than just that. The beautiful snow clad mountains which are the best sight in winters, the historically rich museums and most importantly the people here that make the city so vibrant are the biggest highlights of Buffalo. Buffalo for one has also given the world a lot of talents that have just gotten lost in the anecdotes shared in the confines of this city. But once you do get here, you will be able to witness the talent in the form of long standing architectural gems. Case in point being the Frank Lloyd Wright's Fontana Boathouse or Darwin D Martin’s House or the replica of Statue of Liberty perched onto the terrace of Liberty Building.
Buffalo also has a love-hate relationship with American Politics. Theodore Roosevelt has taken his oath in Buffalo but Mc Kinley was killed here by an assassin from Detroit. Just as you are done with exploring the rich culture and heritage that this city has to offer to you, it will surprise you with its nightlife that is the perfect way to end every tiring day. Buffalo is the second largest city in the New York state and it will not really be wrong to say that it is in a way over shadowed by the neighboring popular regions. All in all, Buffalo also gives you a feeling that has a really enriching history but today is just confined to being one of the main industrial centers-even though it has all the potential to restore its former glory. Our advice is that if you are visiting main stream New York areas, you would easily be able to uncover the simple yet the wonderful city of Buffalo and all it would cost you is a ride!
Essential travel information and Buffalo tips for your visit
- Time Zone: Eastern Time Zone: UTC-05:00
- Currency: USD ( $)
- Electricity and Internet: The standard in the United States is 120V and 60Hz AC electricity. Free high speed internet is available in most hotels in Buffalo.
- Languages: The main language spoken here is English.
Emergency Contact Numbers
- EMERGENCIES: 911
- Rural Metro Medical Services: 882-8400 (then dial 0 or 1)
- Erie County Non-Emergencies: 681-6070 (ALL COUNTY SERVICES)
- National Grid (Electric): 1-800-642-4272 (1-800-NIAGARA)
- National Fuel (Gas): 1-800-444-3130
- American Red Cross: 878-2353
- NFTA ParaTransit Service: 855-7239 (by appointment)
- NFTA General Information: 855-7211
- While on Grand Street, be alert as it is one of the main areas for Prostitution in the city and you might encounter pick pockets here.
- Do not touch any downed wires or metal near downed wires and avoid puddles near downed wires.
- All areas are safe in Buffalo but avoid carrying a lot of money with you at all times.
Off Beaten Path
- Visit the Iron Island Haunted Museum
- Visit the Ripley’s Believe it or not! Museum.
- Explore the cave of Evil Spirit.
- Catch a show at Transit Drive- In theatre.
- Post clearing immigration, get your hands on a number of 1 USD bills.
- If an airport porter helps you with your bags, give them $1-2 per bag. If they meet you at the gate with a wheelchair, give them $3-5.
- 15-20 per cent for the waiter is standard.
- Leaving 2 pennies on top indicates that you are unhappy with the service.
- Areas are referred to as neighborhoods and locals are very proud of the neighborhoods they belong to.
- Soda is known as pop.
- You will encounter various types of accents
- Always nod and say hello. It is one of the friendliest towns and your gesture will be reverted to.
Buffalo Trip Planner
Plan your customized day by day trip plan for Buffalo. Choose from various experinces categories as adventure, romantic and family and kids friendly for your trip using using Buffalo trip planner.
The best tours and activities in the city, guided by experts to give you a local insight to the best of Buffalo
Save 7%Transfer Buffalo Niagara International Airport BUF to Niagara Falls,CanadaNew on TripHobo
Save 7%Transfer Buffalo Niagara International Airport BUF to Niagara-on-the-Lake,CanadaNew on TripHobo
Save 4%Private Airport Transfer: Buffalo Niagara International Airport and Niagara FallsNew on TripHobo
2 Hrs 30 Mins
Zombie Scavengers Game - Buffalo, NYNew on TripHobo