El Faro Los MorrillosCurrently Open
- Address: Ruta 303 Km 12 Península de Morillos, Cabo Rojo, Puerto Rico
- Timings: 24-hrs Details
- Phone: +1-7872551560
- Ticket Price: Free
- Time Required: 01:00 Hrs
- Tags: Outdoors, Beach, Light House, Off Beaten Path, Landmark, Historical Site, Family And Kids, Observation Deck
El Faro Los Morrillos - Review
The El Faro Los Morrillos, also known as Los Morrillos Light is a historic lighthouse in Cabo Rojo. It is situated atop 200-foot limestone cliffs overlooking the spectacular Caribbean Sea, as it marks the south west tip of Puerto Rico. The lighthouse has been renovated over the years and is still functional, but it also serves as a tourist centre that covers the history of the lighthouse. Apart from being a heritage monument, its location and the surrounding views make it a favourite amongst visitors.
The lighthouse itself is relatively small in scale, though it is still useful in helping ships navigating around that point. The tourist centre houses a brilliant photo exhibit of the lighthouse, and you can also walk up the spiral staircase of the lighthouse, which takes you to the observation deck on the roof of the monument. From here, you can enjoy some exceptional panoramic views from the very tip of Puerto Rico, around the limestone cliffs and over the great blue sea.
- There are ‘park rangers’ at hand to help you with information about the area and the history of the lighthouse.
- You can venture around the lighthouse on the limestone cliffs for some picturesque photo opportunities. Be careful not to wander too close to the cliff!
The El Faro Los Morrillos is more than just a monument. It is one of the most popular tourist spots in Cabo Rojo, and provides us with a gentle reminder of the rich heritage of Puerto Rico.
El Faro Los Morrillos Information
- Bathroom facilities are available in the lighthouse.
- The parking area is a short distance away from the lighthouse, so be prepared for a short walk up to the monument. Don’t forget to bring a hat, water and some mosquito repellent.
- The lighthouse was newly refurbished in 2014. You now also have the option of taking a trolley from the parking area to the lighthouse, which runs every ten minutes or so.
- To get to the lighthouse, drive past the salt flats on Route 301, at which point the road changes from asphalt to packed dirt. Beware of potholes.
Restaurants Near El Faro Los Morrillos
- Papa’s Pizza
- Brasas Steakhouse & Pasta
- Salvatore Bar & Tapas
Love this? Explore the entire list of things to do in Cabo Rojo before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Cabo Rojo and book an accommodation of your choice.
Things to Know Before Visiting El Faro Los Morrillos
95% of people who visit Cabo Rojo include El Faro Los Morrillos in their plan
3 PM - 4 PM
35.49% of people start their El Faro Los Morrillos visit around 3 PM - 4 PM
People usually take around 1 Hr to see El Faro Los Morrillos
60.14% of people prefer to travel by car while visiting El Faro Los Morrillos
El Faro Los Morrillos Map
El Faro Los Morrillos Trips
El Faro Los Morrillos, Cabo Rojo Reviews
This park was gorgeous. Lots of parking, trails were clean and well kept. So many places to explore, from the lighthouse to the many cliffs ranging in height, to the paths next to the salt flats and bleached woods. The little museum inside the lighthouse was clean but be aware NO BATHROOM! There is a set of spiral stairs to go up to a small landing area on the roof of the lighthouse, but it's blocked to where you can't go all the way up. The views were breathtaking but it's the sounds I'll never forget. Waves crashing against the stone gave me goosebumps. Absolutely wonderful drive there, and I highly recommend if you enjoy a tranquil experience.
Very interesting lighthouse site. Beautiful views. Not good for swimming because.of the Rocky cliffs and steep drop offs. That's quite a hike from the parking lot up to the lighthouse. The lighthouse charges $2 to8 $3 a person to enter. It was someone interesting inside and at least it was cool. Then there was quite a hike to walk to the water which we thought we are going to be able to swim in but we couldn't because of the high Cliffs and waves. It was boiling hot and we were lugging all our beach stuff hoping to lay on a sand. Why my friend told us we could swim is beyond my understanding because it was not possible. There was a sandy area down below .. a little tiny patch but I don't know how you get down there with those cliffs and the waves were rough. I don't know why people come here except for the magnificent view.
Of course I picked the day was closed to go check it out. I had originally planned my day to go see the Salt Flats, but when I found out the lighthouse was just up the street, I had to go there (also on my list of places to visit). Still made the best of it and enjoyed my time there. Great view and awesome photo op!
First and foremost the lantern room is closed to the public! Secondly there are no English text in the museum portion. I am not discoriging anyone from going, the building its self is a beautiful piece of architecture and the landscape is stunning in contrasting ways. Just giving all a heads up.
Out of all the exploration I've done so far in Puerto Rico, this is my favorite spot. Very beautiful views of the ocean from the top. If not driving an SUV, than a lot of the drive requires very slow speeds because of the bumps and potholes(i thought it was fun to drive through :p hehehe). Also there were lots of people swimming and playing volleyball so consider bringing some swim attire. Look forward to visiting this spot again, and hopefully the lighthouse has been reopened by then!
All QuestionsEl faro los morrillos
- Bays Mountain Nature Preserve & Planetarium
- Interfaith Hospitality Network
- Suzanne Barrett Justice Fine Art
- Bethel Apostolic Church
- Kingsport Budget Director
- Church Of Latter Day Saints
- Colonial Heights Presbyterian Church
- Domtar Park
- Grace Covenant Church
- Calvary Church Nazarane
- Rare Air Custom Airbrush Art
- New Hope Evangelical
- Gravelly Baptist Church Ministry Center
- Victory Baptist Church
- Health Science Library