El Faro Los MorrillosCurrently Open
The El Faro Los Morrillos, also known as Los Morrillos Light is a historic lighthouse in Cabo Rojo. It is situated atop 200-foot limestone cliffs overlooking the spectacular Caribbean Sea, as it marks the south west tip of Puerto Rico. The lighthouse has been renovated over the years and is still functional, but it also serves as a tourist centre that covers the history of the lighthouse. Apart from being a heritage monument, its location and the surrounding views make it a favourite amongst visitors.
The lighthouse itself is relatively small in scale, though it is still useful in helping ships navigating around that point. The tourist centre houses a brilliant photo exhibit of the lighthouse, and you can also walk up the spiral staircase of the lighthouse, which takes you to the observation deck on the roof of the monument. From here, you can enjoy some exceptional panoramic views from the very tip of Puerto Rico, around the limestone cliffs and over the great blue sea.
- There are ‘park rangers’ at hand to help you with information about the area and the history of the lighthouse.
- You can venture around the lighthouse on the limestone cliffs for some picturesque photo opportunities. Be careful not to wander too close to the cliff!
The El Faro Los Morrillos is more than just a monument. It is one of the most popular tourist spots in Cabo Rojo, and provides us with a gentle reminder of the rich heritage of Puerto Rico.
- Bathroom facilities are available in the lighthouse.
- The parking area is a short distance away from the lighthouse, so be prepared for a short walk up to the monument. Don’t forget to bring a hat, water and some mosquito repellent.
- The lighthouse was newly refurbished in 2014. You now also have the option of taking a trolley from the parking area to the lighthouse, which runs every ten minutes or so.
- To get to the lighthouse, drive past the salt flats on Route 301, at which point the road changes from asphalt to packed dirt. Beware of potholes.
- Papa’s Pizza
- Brasas Steakhouse & Pasta
- Salvatore Bar & Tapas
Love this? Explore the entire list of things to do in Cabo Rojo before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Cabo Rojo and book an accommodation of your choice.
95% of people who visit Cabo Rojo include El Faro Los Morrillos in their plan
2 PM - 3 PM
55.07% of people start their El Faro Los Morrillos visit around 2 PM - 3 PM
People usually take around 1 Hr to see El Faro Los Morrillos
58.93% of people prefer walking in order to reach El Faro Los Morrillos
This is an amazing lighthouse that sits on some breathtaking cliffs.. the cove at it's base is a great place to swim. In later September/early October the sea turtles will make nest on the beach.
Excellent place to walk and see some good cliff views, see the lighthouse and then walk down to the bay. The water is beautiful and you can see tons of sealife. Bring some non slip shoes and walk out onto the rocks to the rock arch. Get your full days worth of steps in the fun way.
This is a beautiful area. The views from this spot are phenomenal. Continue closer to the water behind the lighthouse. There are large cliffs in the back that are equally beautiful.
Beware of stray dogs that roam the bushes, do not come here alone! The park doesn’t seem to be monitored or maintained by the authorities at the present time. The lighthouse is closed and there is no visitor centre. The views are nice but not the most spectacular on the island - it is a long drive just to walk 300m up to the lighthouse and then leave.
Gorgeous spot to hike on the cliffs, overlooking the sea. Lots of little coves to trek down to. Lots of iguanas out and about - especially on sunny days where you can see them sunbathing on cliffrocks. Nice view of the beach from atop. The beach is beautiful too with its milky blue hue to the water.