El Faro Los Morrillos316 Votes Currently Open
The El Faro Los Morrillos, also known as Los Morrillos Light is a historic lighthouse in Cabo Rojo. It is situated atop 200-foot limestone cliffs overlooking the spectacular Caribbean Sea, as it marks the south west tip of Puerto Rico. The lighthouse has been renovated over the years and is still functional, but it also serves as a tourist centre that covers the history of the lighthouse. Apart from being a heritage monument, its location and the surrounding views make it a favourite amongst visitors.
The lighthouse itself is relatively small in scale, though it is still useful in helping ships navigating around that point. The tourist centre houses a brilliant photo exhibit of the lighthouse, and you can also walk up the spiral staircase of the lighthouse, which takes you to the observation deck on the roof of the monument. From here, you can enjoy some exceptional panoramic views from the very tip of Puerto Rico, around the limestone cliffs and over the great blue sea.
- There are ‘park rangers’ at hand to help you with information about the area and the history of the lighthouse.
- You can venture around the lighthouse on the limestone cliffs for some picturesque photo opportunities. Be careful not to wander too close to the cliff!
The El Faro Los Morrillos is more than just a monument. It is one of the most popular tourist spots in Cabo Rojo, and provides us with a gentle reminder of the rich heritage of Puerto Rico.
El Faro Los Morrillos Travel Tips
- Bathroom facilities are available in the lighthouse.
- The parking area is a short distance away from the lighthouse, so be prepared for a short walk up to the monument. Don’t forget to bring a hat, water and some mosquito repellent.
- The lighthouse was newly refurbished in 2014. You now also have the option of taking a trolley from the parking area to the lighthouse, which runs every ten minutes or so.
- To get to the lighthouse, drive past the salt flats on Route 301, at which point the road changes from asphalt to packed dirt. Beware of potholes.
- Papa’s Pizza
- Brasas Steakhouse & Pasta
- Salvatore Bar & Tapas
Love this? Explore the entire list of places to visit in Cabo Rojo before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Cabo Rojo and book an accommodation of your choice.
67.52% of people who visit Cabo Rojo include El Faro Los Morrillos in their plan
2 PM - 3 PM
55.07% of people start their El Faro Los Morrillos visit around 2 PM - 3 PM
People usually take around 1 Hr to see El Faro Los Morrillos
58.93% of people prefer walking in order to reach El Faro Los Morrillos