El Faro Los Morrillos, Cabo RojoCurrently Open
- Address: Ruta 303 Km 12 Península de Morillos, Cabo Rojo, Puerto Rico
- Timings: 24-hrs Details
- Phone: +1-7872551560
- Time Required: 01:00 Hrs
- Tags: Outdoors, Beach, Light House, Off Beaten Path, Landmark, Historical Site, Family And Kids, Observation Deck
About El Faro Los Morrillos, Cabo Rojo
The El Faro Los Morrillos, also known as Los Morrillos Light is a historic lighthouse in Cabo Rojo. It is situated atop 200-foot limestone cliffs overlooking the spectacular Caribbean Sea, as it marks the south west tip of Puerto Rico. The lighthouse has been renovated over the years and is still functional, but it also serves as a tourist centre that covers the history of the lighthouse. Apart from being a heritage monument, its location and the surrounding views make it a favourite amongst visitors.
The lighthouse itself is relatively small in scale, though it is still useful in helping ships navigating around that point. The tourist centre houses a brilliant photo exhibit of the lighthouse, and you can also walk up the spiral staircase of the lighthouse, which takes you to the observation deck on the roof of the monument. From here, you can enjoy some exceptional panoramic views from the very tip of Puerto Rico, around the limestone cliffs and over the great blue sea.
- There are ‘park rangers’ at hand to help you with information about the area and the history of the lighthouse.
- You can venture around the lighthouse on the limestone cliffs for some picturesque photo opportunities. Be careful not to wander too close to the cliff!
The El Faro Los Morrillos is more than just a monument. It is one of the most popular tourist spots in Cabo Rojo, and provides us with a gentle reminder of the rich heritage of Puerto Rico.
El Faro Los Morrillos Information
- Bathroom facilities are available in the lighthouse.
- The parking area is a short distance away from the lighthouse, so be prepared for a short walk up to the monument. Don’t forget to bring a hat, water and some mosquito repellent.
- The lighthouse was newly refurbished in 2014. You now also have the option of taking a trolley from the parking area to the lighthouse, which runs every ten minutes or so.
- To get to the lighthouse, drive past the salt flats on Route 301, at which point the road changes from asphalt to packed dirt. Beware of potholes.
Restaurants Near El Faro Los Morrillos
- Papa’s Pizza
- Brasas Steakhouse & Pasta
- Salvatore Bar & Tapas
Love this? Explore the entire list of things to do in Cabo Rojo before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Cabo Rojo and book an accommodation of your choice.
El Faro Los Morrillos, Cabo Rojo Reviews
Gorgeous views from the top of the cliffs towards the ocean. The road way to get to the lighthouse can be deceiving because of the nature of the conditions. Lots of pot holes or holes filled with water, with not such good looking mangroves nearby. But at the very end you will find it an amazing view. Must hike up the hill at a couple of different spots if you want to, they all end up in the same location which is near by the lighthouse. Little Trails take you to the edge of the cliff, so be very careful as we approach it. The conditions of the terrain could be a little soft and crumbly so don't get too close. Walk around the lighthouse so you can see some great views, even with some bridges over the ocean. Nearby you will find a gorgeous Beach, called a La Playuela. As of the writing of this review the lighthouse was closed with a locked gate, but you can walk around the perimeter and get some views.
It's a trek up a hill but the view is worth it. wear comfy shoes as the walk up is a bit pebbly. It has been under restoration for a while and it hasn't been open to the public but the view is stunning. Just don't get too close to the edge. A few have fallen to their demise.
Stunning views. Hike, museum and beach - all in one of the most picturesque places in Puerto Rico.
AMAZING view from high up! I absolutely love it!
Great spot to visit... the rock formations are amazing