Castle Of San Marcos
- Address: Plaza de Alfonso X el Sabio, 3, 11500 El Puerto de Sta Maria, Cadiz, Spain
- Phone: +34-956851751
- Ticket Price: 12 EUR
- Time Required: 01:00 Hrs
- Tags: Outdoors, Castle, Historical Site
Situated at an half an hour drive’s distance from Cadiz, the Castle of San Marcos is a sight to behold! Built in the 13th century on the site of a mosque, the castle was created by Alfonso X the Wise. It was later the home to the Duke of Medinaceli. Trivia- Christopher Columbus and Juan de la Cosa list among prominent guests of the castle! Visit to the castle is by guided tour and is by appointment only. Guided tour also includes trip to the San Marcos Castle Winery of the Caballero group.
Castle Of San Marcos Travel Tips
- If you don’t wish to see the winery, free tours are available on the spot at the castle. However, you will have to wait for a while to join a tour group since fixed timings don’t apply.
Castle Of San Marcos Hours
- Guided tours are conducted Tuesday to Saturday (July-Sept) and Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday (October-June).
- A general trend of the tour timings are: from 10:30 a.m to 2:00 pm.
- Tours in English are conducted at 1/1:30 pm.
How to Reach Castle Of San Marcos
- Puerto de Santa Maria railway station
- Restaurante Stage Puerto
- La Abuela María
- La Pajarita
- Bar Granada
Love this? Explore the entire list of places to visit in Cadiz before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Cadiz and book an accommodation of your choice.
90.68% of people who visit Cadiz include Castle Of San Marcos in their plan
1 PM - 2 PM
38.78% of people start their Castle Of San Marcos visit around 1 PM - 2 PM
People usually take around 1 Hr to see Castle Of San Marcos
93.91% of people prefer to travel by car while visiting Castle Of San Marcos
Castle Of San Marcos Reviews & Ratings
Fun little afternoon visit for 30 minutes to an hour. Didn't get to go inside because there was a group that had it reserved.
Sadly we couldn't visit as it was clotted by the time we found it on our last day. Nonetheless, a beautiful and impressive building for this little unassuming town. A real surprise and gem.
Beautiful but small place, didnt get inside that evening
Very well restored medieval castle. Can only be seen with your guide. Wine tasting at the end of the tour.
Beautiful location with a fascinating history for those interested in Spain's religious history. The coexistence of different periods of architecture that reflected the prevailing religious authority at any particular time. Knwledgeable and engaging guide - loved the hidden wall and the enclosed orange grove. A group of teenages remained engaged during the entire tour. Worth a visit.