One of the most picturesque wonders of the world and a UNESCO World Heritage Site, the Great Barrier Reef is definitely on everyone’s bucket list. There’s no better place you’d want to come in close contact with the marine life, snorkel, dive or even fly over. The world’s richest ecosystem thrives within this gift of nature. You can’t visit Australia and not visit the Great Barrier Reef. There are a variety of activities you could indulge that involve the Reef.
Just know that all the activities that take place at the Reef are conducted by tour operators. There’s an operator for everything. If you’re a water baby, you could go snorkeling or go scuba diving. Cruise atop the Great Barrier Reef in one of the many cruise-liners, that offer exciting packages including diving off the ship. It’s said that the Great Barrier can be seen from space. Since you can’t so easily go to space, you could settle for the next best thing and book a scenic flight.
Great Barrier Reef Travel Tips
- There are a variety of tour operators that launch tours from the shores of Cairns. A good time out of the Reef will cost money, so don’t cheap out at the wrong moment.
- The best seasons to visit the Reef is from June to November, so book in advance to avoid exorbitant rates.
- The tour timings and rates are pre-determined so check the tour operator’s schedule.
- An entire day can be spent at the Reef, so plan your holiday accordingly.
How to Reach Great Barrier Reef
- Abbott St C245
- Abbott St C244
- Cairns Central Shopping Centre C253
- Pete & Paulz Breaky Bar
- Little Ricardo's (pizzas recommended)
- Tamarind (Asian fusion and Contemporary cuisine served)
Love this? Explore the entire list of places to visit in Cairns before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Cairns and book an accommodation of your choice.
63.17% of people who visit Cairns include Great Barrier Reef in their plan
09 AM - 10 AM
28.57% of people start their Great Barrier Reef visit around 09 AM - 10 AM
2 Hrs 30 Minutes
People usually take around 2 Hrs 30 Minutes to see Great Barrier Reef
50.88% of people prefer walking in order to reach Great Barrier Reef