Are you looking for what to do in Cairns?
THINGS TO SEE
- The Great Barrier Reef : A UNESCO World Heritage Site, Cairns is one of the best places from where you can marvel at the world’s richest ecosystem. No visit to Cairns is complete without a view of the Great Barrier Reef. If you don’t want to swim down to see the ecosystem in action, you could always cruise along the waters or take a scenic flight.
- Daintree Rainforest National Park: Dubbed as the oldest rainforest of the world, the Daintree Rainforest National Park is yet another World Heritage Site and a very popular tourist attraction. There are many hiking and walking tours that will take you to a part of the forest to get the feel of what a real forest sounds and looks like. Don’t venture away from the designated pathways and stay away from the water.
- Kuranda Scenic Railway: A 1 hour 45 minutes train ride through the Macalister Range, up to the little town of Kuranda offers an insight into the Aboriginal culture. The scenic train ride offers some magnificent vistas as the train climbs over the rainforest and up the mountain side.
- The Esplanade: There are some days when you just don’t want to sight see much and maybe relax and bask in the sun. The esplanade provides just that. Take a walk on the boardwalk and get a taste of some local life, have a swim or two in the lagoon pool where a part of the ocean has been barricaded to serve as a swimming pool and expand your culinary repertoire with some local food.
- Tjapukai Aboriginal Cultural Park: Know everything there is to know about the Aboriginal culture at the Tjapukai Aboriginal Cultural Park. The Creation Theatre, where actors enact the beginning of the world, through illusions and theatricals, as is depicted in the folklore of the Tjapukaj tribe; the History Theatre shows a 20 minute documentary on what it was life before the white settlers arrived on their lands. Outside the museum, gallery and theatre(s) you could try your hand at throwing a boomerang and a spear and learn about life in the bush.
Below we have a list of things to do in Cairns and the places where you want to spend the best moments of your trip. At the same time, the city offers you the best neighborhoods to explore and new foods to try.
This list should help you in deciding and prioritizing what you should plan on your Cairns getaway. Find a mix of must-see tourist spots, underrated local hangouts, and maybe even a few new experiences you can try out.
Make the most of your trip to Cairns with confidence.