Tjapukai Aboriginal Cultural ParkCurrently Closed
- Address: Cairns Western Arterial Rd. (next to Skyrail terminal), Cavaronica, Cairns, QLD 4878, Australia
- Timings: 09:00 am - 09:30 pm Details
- Phone: 61-740429900
- Ticket Price: 40 AUD
- Time Required: 03:00 Hrs
- Tags: Art And Culture, Outdoors, Entertainment, Performance, Family And Kids
Tjapukai Aboriginal Cultural Park - Review
There’s no better place, other than Central Australia, to know about the Aboriginal culture. Start at the Creation Theatre, where, going by its name, actors with the help of illusion and theatrics to retell the genesis of it all from the beliefs of the Tjapukai tribe. After this riveting performance, move on to the Magic Space museum and the History Theatre where a compelling 20 minute documentary on the indigenous inhabitants since the arrival of the fair skinned settlers almost a century ago. Out on the open grounds, there’s a makeshift village showing the ancient settlement showcasing their skill-set like fire-making, boomerang and spear-throwing (yes, you can try your hand at these activities too) and learn about the medicinal and edible value of the bush.
Tjapukai Aboriginal Cultural Park Information
- Tours: Day Tours Include Didgeridoo – A Journey (20 minute session)
- Creation Theatre (20 minute session)
- Dance Theatre (25 minute session)
- Cultural Village Hunting & Weapons demonstrations and Bush Foods & Medicines demonstration
- Boomerang and Spear Throwing, Story Stone Painting
- Art & Artefacts Talks, Meet the Craftsperson, Traditional Dance Lessons, Weaving Demonstrations, Didgeridoo Lessons and Story Telling
- Night Tours Include Welcome drink upon arrival
- Didgeridoo blessing ceremony and Quikan Spirit
- Fire making ceremony by the lakeside, with special effects fire ball explosion
- Full Course Buffet Dinner
- Live Tjapukai Dance performance
- Camp fire session with Performers (Optional)
Tjapukai Aboriginal Cultural Park Ticket Prices
- The basic ticket price, assuming you drive yourself over there is A$36.
- For transfers from Cairns, it’s A$58 and for transfers from Northern Beach, it’s A$60
- For night tours, the ticket price can range from A$99 - A$125
- Ticket Price: Day Tours- Adults $40; Children $25; Family $105
- Night Tours: Adults- $109; Children - $59; Family- $277
How To reach Tjapukai Aboriginal Cultural Park by Public Transport
- Kamerunga Rd N232 (Caravonica State School)
- Guided tour bus.
Restaurants Near Tjapukai Aboriginal Cultural Park
- Dominos Pizza
- Smithfield Tavern & Char Grill Steakhouse
Love this? Explore the entire list of things to do in Cairns before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Cairns and book an accommodation of your choice.
Things to Know Before Visiting Tjapukai Aboriginal Cultural Park
95% of people who visit Cairns include Tjapukai Aboriginal Cultural Park in their plan
1 PM - 2 PM
54.68% of people start their Tjapukai Aboriginal Cultural Park visit around 1 PM - 2 PM
People usually take around 3 Hrs to see Tjapukai Aboriginal Cultural Park
54.94% of people prefer to travel by car while visiting Tjapukai Aboriginal Cultural Park
Tjapukai Aboriginal Cultural Park Family Friendly Tours
Tjapukai Aboriginal Cultural Park Culture & Theme Based Tours
Tjapukai Aboriginal Cultural Park Sightseeing Tours
Tjapukai Aboriginal Cultural Park Tickets & Passes
Tjapukai Aboriginal Cultural Park Map
Tjapukai Aboriginal Cultural Park Trips
1 View12 Days 11 Nights12 Day Trip to Sydney, Melbourne, Cairns from HudsonBy: Guest UserCity: Sydney, Melbourne, Cairns
Tjapukai Aboriginal Cultural Park, Cairns Reviews
We enjoyed our visit to this centre very much. We brought our 3 kids (10-14 years) and I'd say it was an eye opener for them! They could start to understand the culture of the Aboriginal people in the area and also start to grasp the complexities of Aboriginal life today. The tour is a guided tour that consists of several "stations". The multimedia show was a bit difficult to understand I think. The dance and music segment were great. We also enjoyed the spear and boomerang throwing. And it was great to be able to ask lots of questions. It might be the first time that many of us white people (Australians and tourists) get to speak to an Aboriginal person first hand. Thank you for their patience. There should be more such centres all over and they should get lots of visitors. The only small draw back was the relative high price for a family of 5. But I guess that is due to all the staff that is being employed. Perhaps it should be government subsidised a little, in particular for families that have more than 2 children.
Aboriginal culture is alive and thriving in this modern cultural centre located in park-like surroundings. Here you will discover the heart and soul of Australia. There's a gallery of unique indigenous art where 'traditional meets modern' and an exhibition of local crafts, and hands-on activities (including spear and boomerang throwing). The dancing show is very interactive and loads of fun. The facilities are world class and the guides are knowledgeable, friendly and hospitable. Tjapukai is one of the best places to visit while in Cairns.
Enriching experience. Guides are knowledgeable and give good time to visitors in educating the aboriginal culture. Good mix of fun activities, entertainment, knowledge in the national park. Special thanks to Joe for being wonderful guide. Must visit if you like to know about aboriginals.
I have a great interest in Aboriginal culture and this place blew me away. There is many displays to look at including a dance performance and guided experiences to take part in including boomerang & spear throwing, learning about bush foods and their rituals. There is a variety of experiences that are offered as extensions which I did both the creative experience & bush tucker & medicine walk which included lunch ($30) and afternoon tea.
Learn about the Aboriginal people of the rainforest. It's expensive, but after the experience, it's going to something worthy. We got to spend time with a guide who showed us how to throw boomerangs and throw spears. Our 9 year old son loved the experience as well.