Tjapukai Aboriginal Cultural ParkCurrently Open [Closes at 09:30 pm]
There’s no better place, other than Central Australia, to know about the Aboriginal culture. Start at the Creation Theatre, where, going by its name, actors with the help of illusion and theatrics to retell the genesis of it all from the beliefs of the Tjapukai tribe. After this riveting performance, move on to the Magic Space museum and the History Theatre where a compelling 20 minute documentary on the indigenous inhabitants since the arrival of the fair skinned settlers almost a century ago. Out on the open grounds, there’s a makeshift village showing the ancient settlement showcasing their skill-set like fire-making, boomerang and spear-throwing (yes, you can try your hand at these activities too) and learn about the medicinal and edible value of the bush.
- Tours: Day Tours Include Didgeridoo – A Journey (20 minute session)
- Creation Theatre (20 minute session)
- Dance Theatre (25 minute session)
- Cultural Village Hunting & Weapons demonstrations and Bush Foods & Medicines demonstration
- Boomerang and Spear Throwing, Story Stone Painting
- Art & Artefacts Talks, Meet the Craftsperson, Traditional Dance Lessons, Weaving Demonstrations, Didgeridoo Lessons and Story Telling
- Night Tours Include Welcome drink upon arrival
- Didgeridoo blessing ceremony and Quikan Spirit
- Fire making ceremony by the lakeside, with special effects fire ball explosion
- Full Course Buffet Dinner
- Live Tjapukai Dance performance
- Camp fire session with Performers (Optional)
- The basic ticket price, assuming you drive yourself over there is A$36.
- For transfers from Cairns, it’s A$58 and for transfers from Northern Beach, it’s A$60
- For night tours, the ticket price can range from A$99 - A$125
- Ticket Price: Day Tours- Adults $40; Children $25; Family $105
- Night Tours: Adults- $109; Children - $59; Family- $277
- Kamerunga Rd N232 (Caravonica State School)
- Guided tour bus.
- Dominos Pizza
- Smithfield Tavern & Char Grill Steakhouse
Love this? Explore the entire list of things to do in Cairns before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Cairns and book an accommodation of your choice.
78.12% of people who visit Cairns include Tjapukai Aboriginal Cultural Park in their plan
12 PM - 1 PM
52.23% of people start their Tjapukai Aboriginal Cultural Park visit around 12 PM - 1 PM
People usually take around 3 Hrs to see Tjapukai Aboriginal Cultural Park
55.33% of people prefer to travel by car while visiting Tjapukai Aboriginal Cultural Park
We absolutely loved visiting Tjapukai. The team is amazing and friendly. the experience is very entertaining and great for both adults and children. Loved throwing spears and boomerangs and tasting the bush tucker. We first did the night visit which was very nice, and went back the next day for the 2h30 visit. The staff is so natural and we had a great laugh. I would go back anytime. Thank you Tjapukai
Tjapukai at Cairns Queensland is an excellent Indigenous cultural experience. Making use of multimedia presentations and local indigenous performers they tell their story. The guides/performers engage the audience and share their respect and love for their cultural heritage.
We enjoyed our visit to this centre very much. We brought our 3 kids (10-14 years) and I'd say it was an eye opener for them! They could start to understand the culture of the Aboriginal people in the area and also start to grasp the complexities of Aboriginal life today. The tour is a guided tour that consists of several "stations". The multimedia show was a bit difficult to understand I think. The dance and music segment were great. We also enjoyed the spear and boomerang throwing. And it was great to be able to ask lots of questions. It might be the first time that many of us white people (Australians and tourists) get to speak to an Aboriginal person first hand. Thank you for their patience. There should be more such centres all over and they should get lots of visitors. The only small draw back was the relative high price for a family of 5. But I guess that is due to all the staff that is being employed. Perhaps it should be government subsidised a little, in particular for families that have more than 2 children.
What a fun and informative evening! The canapes, wine and buffet was delicious. Crowd participation made for an exciting and fun evening! Just go!!
A wonderful day out. The evening event is very worthwhile as well. There is a little repetition from the day, but it's minimal. They certainly don't replace each other. Great fun!