Calais Lace MuseumCurrently Open [Closes at 06:00 pm]
- Address: 135 Quai du Commerce, 62100 Calais, France
- Timings: 10:00 am - 05:00 pm Details
- Phone: +33-321004230
- Ticket Price: 5 EUR
- Time Required: 01:00 Hrs
A once sought after accessory, the ‘lace’ was worn as a symbol of wealth and status and was originally a British product. It was smuggled to Calais by an English mechanic Robert Webster and two others who also installed the machinery in the village. The Calais lace Museum still houses over 10,000 lace pieces and is a collaboration of 10 brands, 8 companies and 3 business ventures. Inside the museum:
- There are two floors, the first of which explains the history of lace making from 16th century. To the sides there are beautifully lit cases that display handmade French and English laces on full size models.
- The second part shows how the boom of industrial revolution took over the changes in fashion as well.
- The upper floors have rooms in which the ‘huge looms’ were installed over a century ago. There are demonstrators who show you how the machine works.
- The exhibitions finish with a collection of modern dresses and how after the wars, post modernism took over into making contemporary designs.
Calais Lace Museum Travel Tips
- There is a fitting room in the ground floor where you can try-out the laces but only with prior appointments.
- If you're coming from the U.K. by Ferry, take the road signposted to central Calais. Once on either the Ave du Commandant Jacques Yves, take the Route du Quai de lla Loire and follow the signs.
Entrance Ticket Details For Calais Lace Museum
- Over 65 years of Age and under 16 years, EUR 2.50.
- For children under 5 years of Age Free.
- Also FREE on the First Sunday in March, June, September and December.
How to Reach Calais Lace Museum
- Located on Quai du Commerce, Nearest Bus stops
- Passerelle, Lines: 04, 07
- Canal de Calais, Lines: 04, 07
- La Boite a Pizza Calais
- Le temps D’ Une Frite Calais
Love this? Explore the entire list of places to visit in Calais before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Calais and book an accommodation of your choice.
79.04% of people who visit Calais include Calais Lace Museum in their plan
10 AM - 11 AM
52.5% of people start their Calais Lace Museum visit around 10 AM - 11 AM
People usually take around 1 Hr to see Calais Lace Museum
95% of people prefer to travel by car while visiting Calais Lace Museum
Calais Lace Museum Reviews & Ratings
Not normally my thing but it was really interesting. The demonstration of the machines weaving was very powerful and I enjoyed it albeit it was in French but I got the gist.
Visited the museum yesterday. Excellent display and descriptions of the history of lace production and the Haute Couture exhibition was spectacular
The lacemaking machines are a must to see in action. They could be the first machines run like modern computers from an on/off 0/1 tape like a big piano roll. It's a pity the exhibition did not go back further in time as industrial lacemaking machines were in use at least in 1838, and the museum exhibits don't seem to start until after the mid nineteenth century. Shop is a bit expensive although interesting but only lace for sale was sadly synthetic. Had a great visit.
went this afternoon to a special exibtion 7€ well spent looking at Lace from local area for Fashion from 18C 19C 20C & 21C simply breath taking
Excellent museum. Well worth a visit.