Calais LighthouseCurrently Open [Closes at 05:30 pm]
- Address: Phare de Calais, Place Henri Barbusse, 62100 Calais, France
- Timings: 10:00 am - 05:30 pm Details
- Phone: +33-321343334
- Ticket Price: 5 EUR
- Time Required: 01:30 Hrs
Calais Lighthouse - Review
Built in 1848 the lighthouse overlooks the town of Calais like a watchful eye. Each lighthouse has its particularity that allows it to be recognized by sailors around the world.
- In the day it’s octagonal shape, white color and black sleeve helps it distinguish it from other nearby lighthouses.
- By night, the number, length and color of its light flashes are its distinguishing signature. The lighthouse emits four bursts of 0.1 second every 2.4 seconds and a black one every 7.4 seconds. The complete cycle lasts 15 seconds.
- On the inside there are 271 steps that lead to the top. The balcony which is almost 58metres from the ground gives a brilliant panoramic view around. In fact on a clear day you can even spot the white cliffs of Dover about 26 miles to the north.
- The lantern above is not accessible to the public, since it protects the optical system. The lighthouse was electrified in 1883, fully automated in 1987 and later classified as a historic monument of France in 2011.
Calais Lighthouse Information
- A trip to Calais channel by pedal boat or electric boat is possible.
- Simple and Fun filled games are held both inside and outside the Lighthouse.
- Other educational programs for children and students are available.
- The place is not equipped for disabled tourists.
- Balcony not accessible during windy and stormy days.
Calais Lighthouse Ticket Prices
- Adults EUR 4.5, Groups over 10 people, EUR 3
- Children 5-15 years of Age, EUR 2, Groups over 10, EUR 1.5
- Children under 5 years of Age, FREE.
Calais Lighthouse Hours
1st June to 30th September:
- Monday to Friday- 02:00 pm to 06:30 pm.
- Saturdays, Sundays and Holidays - 10:00 am to 12:00 pm and 2:00 pm to 6:30 pm.
School Holidays off Summer Season
- Monday to Friday - 02:00 pm to 05:30 pm.
- Saturdays, Sundays and Holidays - 10:00 am to 12:00 pm and 02:00 pm to 5:30 pm.
Rest of the year
- Wednesdays - 02:00 pm to 05:30 pm.
- Saturdays, Sundays and Holidays - 10:00 am to 12:00 pm and 02:00 pm to 05:30 pm.
How To reach Calais Lighthouse by Public Transport
- Located downtown, close to passenger port. If you’re coming via ferry, follow the direction of Car ferry.
- Nearest Bus Stop : Phare, Lines: 03.
- Place de Suede, Lines: 03.
Restaurants Near Calais Lighthouse
- Oh Mouetess
- Le Liverpool
Love this? Explore the entire list of things to do in Calais before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Calais and book an accommodation of your choice.
Things to Know Before Visiting Calais Lighthouse
95% of people who visit Calais include Calais Lighthouse in their plan
32.69% of people start their Calais Lighthouse visit around 02 AM
1 Hr 30 Minutes
People usually take around 1 Hr 30 Minutes to see Calais Lighthouse
95% of people prefer to travel by car while visiting Calais Lighthouse
Calais Lighthouse Trips
Calais Lighthouse, Calais Reviews
I found this by far the best place to visit in Calais, and I very much enjoyed my visit to the town. I'm a sucker for a good view, and the view from here was excellent. A full 360 degree look over the town and the channel. I was the only English person being shown around and the guide explained everything to me in perfect English. She even let me have some more time to admire the view while she did the French section of the tour. The tour itself was very enjoyable. Lots of very interesting information. The guide was extremely helpful and friendly. I spent ages taking pictures, but she didn't complain, even when I didn't realise it was after their closing time. If you're in Calais (and not scared of heights) I would definitely recommend a visit here.
A beautiful building for sure, with much historical significance. I came to visit on a 'summer' day, the 28th of September, at 6pm on the dot. Despite the opening hours being stated as 6.30pm,i was rejected from entering. Nevertheless, the staff were polite about it. Perhaps next time.
Great place to go
What a view! It was cold and windy but still a great visit.
Was very reasonable price . Was interesting . Has the best view point of calais as it's the tallest building with over 200 steps And has a 360° view . Above all else the staff are very polite kind and helpfull . Thanks