How to Reach Calais
- By Air: Lydd airways operates a few flights towards the Calais - Dunkerque Airport in Calais. But the nearest international airports are at Ostend in Belgium (1hr 5 min) and at Lille (1 hr 15 min).
- By Train: Eurostar: Operates services from Calais Frethun station towards London, Ebbsfleet, Ashford and Brussels, Eurotunnel (Le Shuttle): A car shuttle tunnel from Folkstone to Western end of Calais. It is the fastest way to travel from UK to Calais and vice versa, SNCF: A French train-network operating trains from Lille, Boulogne, Dunkirk and Paris to the Calais Ville station in the city centre, Train & Ferry: Integrated train and ferry service from UK to Calais by the Southeastern service’s Tripper ticket.
- By Ferry: Ferry is well connected to Dover in England through various ferry services like P&O Ferries, MyFerryLink and DFDS seaways. They take you around 1 and a half hour to reach Calais from Dover. Ferries are also available from Dover to Dunkirk (a place near Calais).
- By Car: Calais can be reached through two Auto Routes - A26/E15 towards the Central France, and A16/E40 towards Benelux and other North European destinations.
- By Bus: Buses from London and Paris towards Calais are operated by Eurolines. Some of them halt at Canterbury, Gillingham, Folkestone and/or Dover en route.
- By Bus: The city has decent bus networks to get around. Bus 1 by Vivabus service towards Cite Europe shopping mall runs every thirty minutes and costs EUR 1 per ticket, EUR 3 for a day pass. Vivabus also runs services towards the town centre and the harbour terminal. Balad’in, a free mini bus service runs from Jardin des Plantes to Matelote (near the lighthouse) via the Calais-Ville train station. They are bright colored and easily spottable.
- By Bicycle: You can also rent bicycles to get around the city. Les Vél'in and Opale Vélo Services are a few services where you can get a bike for rent.
- By Car: Cars are the most feasible option to travel around the city. The town has several car parking areas, both paid and free.