Calgary is a good example of a positive thing to result from oil exploitation and production. This erstwhile cowboy town has been transformed into a swanky urban city, the biggest in the city of Alberta. A stone’s throw away from the oldest and most famous national park of Canada, Calgary is nestled cozily at the foot of the Canadian Rockies.
Not many know this, but Calgary is one of the best places to see the Northern Light from, especially for those of you on a budget; the lights are visible from August to mid-May. With weather that beckons travelers around the year, there’s always something waiting for you at Calgary!
Essential travel information and Calgary tips for your visit
- Calgary is a relatively safe city, but you should East Village and Victoria Park after dark as it can get unruly.
- If you are out at night, be especially around the time the bars shut- regardless of the area you’re in. There’s no reasoning with drunken people looking for a brawl.
- Petty thievery is common so don’t carry anything you might have to constantly keep an eye on. Carry just enough cash to get by the day and don’t leave your cameras, phones, purses unattended.
- While crossing the LTR tracks, keep a lookout for the trains; they are might silent and you don’t the train to suddenly spring it’s presence on you.
- If you’re driving around in winter, exercise extra caution as roads can get slippery.
Calgary Trip Planner
Plan your customized day by day trip plan for Calgary. Choose from various experinces categories as adventure, romantic and family and kids friendly for your trip using using Calgary trip planner.
The best tours and activities in the city, guided by experts to give you a local insight to the best of Calgary
Heritage Park General Admission
1 Day7 Reviews
Save 4%Kananaskis River Rafting Adventure with Transport
4 Hrs14 Reviews
Save 4%Grotto Canyon Icewalk
4 Hrs1 Reviews
Save 10%Calgary Bow River Valley 60-Minute Segway Adventure
1 Hr3 Reviews
Shared Arrival Transfer: Calgary Airport to Alberta Hotels
2 Hrs3 Reviews
Save 5%Winter Canadian Rockies Canyon HikeNew on TripHobo