Cambridge American Cemetery And Memorial702 Votes Currently Open
- Address: Madingley Rd, Coton, Cambridgeshire CB23 7PH, United Kingdom Map
- Timings: 09:00 am - 05:00 pm Details
- Phone: +44-1954210350
- Time Required: 02:00 Hrs
- Tags: Memorial, Cemetery, Architecture
As you stand by the flagpole, Stars and Stripes ribboning out in the wind, the first thing that will strike you is the calmness in the air. The second thing that will grab your attention is the overwhelming number of graves that lay before your eyes. The Cambridge American Cemetery and Memorial, a tribute to the thousands of brave American soldiers that lost their lives on British soil, stands as a testament to the horrors of war and serves as a fitting final resting place for those who perished. Let serenity envelop you as walk past the meticulously maintained grass and survey the Cemetery’s fine architecture and beautiful landscaping.
The Cemetery and Memorial was opened in 1943 and was one out of three temporary American cemeteries in the country. It was the only one to become a permanent fixture on British territory. The men and women who rest here fought in the Battle of the Atlantic and the bombing campaign over Europe while some departed during training exercises. The Memorial’s wall is emblazoned with the name of each identified soldier who rests here, as well as over 5000 other people whose bodies were never recovered, including airmen and sailors.
The cemetery combines art, landscaping and symbolism in order to create an apt tribute to these fallen angels.Its 3,809 headstones are perfectly aligned upon the grass, in neat curving rows, at the head of fan shaped burial plots. Three clear, still pools create a tranquil environment and border the ‘Wall of Missing’. The Memorial Chapel, a 85 feet long, 30 feet wide and 28 feet high structure, contains a beautiful mosaic ceiling and windows meant to depict every American state. Finally, there’s a Visitor’s Centre, which conveys the history behind the cemetery and its residents. Visit this cemetery and pay your respects, the silence is soothing and a refreshing change from the noisiness of the city. Also, visit the popular attractions in the city by following Cambridge itinerary 1 day.
Cambridge American Cemetery And Memorial Travel Tips
- All areas accessible to disabled visitors - All key features.
- Guide dogs permitted.
- Toilets for disabled visitors.
How to Reach Cambridge American Cemetery And Memorial
- The open top Sightseeing tour bus stops at the cemetery.
- The local number 4 bus stops approximately half a mile from the cemetery.
- On main A1303 road west of Cambridge.
- The Three Horse Shoes (Asian, English, Mediterranean, Fusion)
- Graffiti (European, British)
- Heval Silo Kebab
- Tandoori Palace (Indian)
Love this? Explore the entire list of places to visit in Cambridge before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Cambridge and book an accommodation of your choice.
- Cambridge American Cemetery And Memorial Address: Madingley Rd, Coton, Cambridgeshire CB23 7PH, United Kingdom
- Cambridge American Cemetery And Memorial Contact Number: +44-1954210350
- Cambridge American Cemetery And Memorial Timing: 09:00 am - 05:00 pm
- Time required to visit Cambridge American Cemetery And Memorial: 02:00 Hrs
- Try the best online travel planner to plan your travel itinerary!
52.82% of people who visit Cambridge include Cambridge American Cemetery And Memorial in their plan
09 AM - 10 AM
35.16% of people start their Cambridge American Cemetery And Memorial visit around 09 AM - 10 AM
People usually take around 2 Hrs to see Cambridge American Cemetery And Memorial
95% of people prefer to travel by car while visiting Cambridge American Cemetery And Memorial
People normally club together King's College Chapel and Duxford Chapel while planning their visit to Cambridge American Cemetery And Memorial.