Arts PicturehouseCurrently Open
- Address: 38-39 St Andrew's St, Cambridge CB2 3AR, United Kingdom
- Timings: 24-hrs Details
- Phone: +44-8719025720
- Ticket Price: 10 GBP
- Tags: Art Museum, View Point, Social, Entertainment, Movie Theatres
Arts Picturehouse - Review
After walking for hours around the city and exploring every nook and cranny, wouldn’t you like to relax and just calm your mind for a while? After all that culture hunting and history, it’s probably time for some entertainment and what’s better than a movie? But don’t you hate it when you’re at the movies and there’s a little kid right behind you, bawling away? Or when you’re queuing up to get a ticket and standing in the line is more fraught with peril than the movie you’re about to watch? What you really need is some relaxation but guess what? Movie lovers, there is hope! The Cambridge Arts Picturehouse promises to give you a fabulous movie watching experience, noise free, hassle free and what’s more, you can take a glass of wine into the viewing room too!
In 1937, the Regal Cinema opened up on this very spot, but was closed down in 1997. Two years later, the complex was taken over by Wetherspoons, with the largest pub in all of England inhabiting the ground floor. The three-screened Arts Picture House occupies the remaining space.
From the outside, this classy cinema hall stands out in its green and ochre colours, its nameplates framing that of its in-house restaurant. As you step in, luxurious mauve paint blends in with tasteful designs and the spaciousness of the restaurant catches your eye. The menu is quite tasteful and they serve up alcoholic beverages as well.
The movies that play are mostly serious drama or art house movies, with work by the likes of Richard Linklater up for viewing. There’s also a brilliant collection of operas and ballets, as well as plays from the National. You can read movie and play reviews online, check out the latest listings and even book tickets, all from the convenience of your own home. Also, visit the popular attractions in the city by following Cambridge itinerary 1 day.
Arts Picturehouse Information
- All areas of the building are accessible to customers with limited mobility, including wheelchair users. Seats can be folded in each of the auditoria to accommodate wheelchairs. It is recommended that you telephone to confirm availability and to book a space to avoid disappointment when you arrive.
- Guide dogs are welcome at the Arts Picturehouse. If you wish to take a dog into a performance, please let us know when booking so we can arrange an aisle seat. Alternatively, your dog can be cared for by a member of staff for the duration of the performance. Their staff will provide drinking waterfor your dog.
- Certain performances carry subtitles and these are clearly indicated in the programme.
- There is a fully accessible separate toilet on the same level as the Box office. There is an emergence call-point inside should you need to summon assistance.
Arts Picturehouse Ticket Prices
- Weekdays: Kids: £6.00
- Weekends: Adult: £9.50/Kids:£6.00
- Weekday Matinee: Adult: £8.00/Kids: £5.50
Arts Picturehouse Hours
- The cinema will open at least 15 minutes before the start of the first film each day.
- Our telephone lines are open from 9:30am - 8:30pm, seven days a week. Please call 08719025720.
How To reach Arts Picturehouse by Public Transport
- By Rail: The theatre is a short 20 minute walk from the railway station. From the station, walk until you come to the end of Hills Road. Walk past Regent Street and St. Andrew’s street until you see an enormous pub called the ‘Regal’.
- By Bus: Local buses stop on the Drummer Street bus depot, a 2 minute walk from the cinema.
- By Car: See the City Centre car park map.
Restaurants Near Arts Picturehouse
- Prezzo Cambridge (Italian)
- St.John’s Chop House (British)
- The Punter (British)
- Le Margherita (Italian)
Love this? Explore the entire list of things to do in Cambridge before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Cambridge and book an accommodation of your choice.
Things to Know Before Visiting Arts Picturehouse
95% of people who visit Cambridge include Arts Picturehouse in their plan
2 PM - 3 PM
44.11% of people start their Arts Picturehouse visit around 2 PM - 3 PM
People usually take around 1 Hr to see Arts Picturehouse
52.87% of people prefer walking in order to reach Arts Picturehouse
Arts Picturehouse Trips
Arts Picturehouse, Cambridge Reviews
Beautiful classic cinema. Arty range of films not your classic blockbusters. They do great courses for students and a cinema club for kids.
Lovely venue, friendly staff, good bar with a reasonable food menu. And a great selection of films to choose from
Acceptable cup of coffee and a tea! Snacks also available Didn't use any of the cinema rooms or a snack shop on that side but it was busy so I think is all right. Kind and knowledgeable staff about the history of this place ! Came in here with a young chup that have been here on the Exorcist premiere, I couldn't believe, i think they had 1 or 2 screens then. Wow! I think the next door' s wheterspoon company wasn't even planned at the time. That's really worth a visit at least for the history of this place, even for a cafe use only, u r welcome ! It is hardly visible from outside, but anyway Come upstairs and enjoy, it's nicely decorated as well!
Great cinema...but the air conditioning is poor ! Have been cold throughout my last two visits. Brett !
The best place to watch indie movies with no chavy teenagers talking or throwing popcorn around. Very civilized, you can bring a bottle of wine in with you from the bar. Simply glorious!