How to Reach Cambridge - The Easiest Way to Reach Cambridge
HOW TO GET TO CAMBRIDGE
- By Train: Reaching Cambridge by train is an easy task.Regular trains run from King’s Cross and Liverpool Street to Cambridge. The faster ‘Cambridge Cruiser’ takes under 50 minutes, the semi-fast takes 60 minutes and slow trains take up to 90 minutes.
- The train station is about 1.2 miles south from the City Centre and there are regular buses and taxis to town. You can leave your bags at Station Cycles just outside the train station for a small sum.
- By Cycle: Cycling is the best way to travel in and around Cambridge because of its narrow roads. Plus the Government supports sustainable forms of travel such as walking and biking. National Cycle Network routes 11 and 51 both pass through the city, and Cambridge is also served with a comprehensive local cycle network.
- By Bus: National Express provides bus links to major cities around the country, including direct services to London Victoria and Birmingham, as well as frequent airport coaches to Luton, Stansted, Heathrow, and Gatwick. National Express coaches depart from Parkside, next to Parker's Piece park, about half a mile from the City Centre. Many services also stop at the Trumpington and Madingley Road Park and Ride sites.
- By Air: Cambridge is within easy reach of some of London’s international airports.
Following are some details of flights to Cambridge:
- London Stansted: This is 30 miles away, and has regular bus and rail services into Cambridge. Rail will take you about 30 minutes and £12.80 for a return journey.
- Luton Airport: This can be reached by National Express Coach, taking about 1.5 hours and £14, but these run every only every 2 hours or so.
- London Stansted and London Luton airports offer many of the cheapest international flights to be found in Europe, with many of the big low-cost European airlinessuch as Easyjet, Ryanair and TUI fly stopping over at one of these two airports.
- Heathrow: 90-120 min away by car. National Express Coaches to and from Heathrow central bus station take around 2.5 h for £25. Abacus Airport Cars Cambridge costs £85.00 one way.
- Gatwick: Driving means a tour of the M25 London ring road and that takes around 3 h by car. It is best reached by train to King's Cross, walk to St. Pancras and train to Gatwick with a total journey time around 2 h for fare £28.
- London City Airport: It’s best reached by train to King's Cross, then Underground and Docklands Light Railway across London, for £22.
Cambridge has its own airport, but there are currently scheduled flights only to France, Italy and Jersey.
HOW TO GET AROUND CAMBRIDGE
Cambridge transportation is reliable and quick. Following are the ways to get around the city:
- On Foot: Cambridge is mostly pedestrian friendly and most sights and attractions can be reached on foot. In fact, you’ll be able to access every sight easiest by walking since most venues don’t have parking. Some paths are shared by both cyclists and pedestrians, so watch out.
- By Sight-Seeing Bus: These tours provide commentary in different languages and pass most of the famous attractions.
- By Local Bus Service: This is only necessary if you’re staying in the outskirts of the city but they’re clean, efficient and cost between £1 and £2. An all-day pass is £3.40.
- By Taxi: Panther Taxis are the largest and most widely used/reliable taxi company, bookings can also be made via their website or call them on 01223 715715. Camtax claim to be Cambridge's oldest taxi company (01223 313131) Camcab (01223 704704).
Are you looking for a Cambridge travel itinerary? Create an itinerary within minutes, on your own!
Modes of Transportation in Cambridge
Know about the preferred mode of transport, average time spent and average distance traveled for commute in Cambridge. The most preferred mode of transport in Cambridge is Car.
Average distance: 16.23 km Average time: 30.33 min
Car 50%Driving 37.5 min Walking 0.83 min Overall average time for 27.9 kms 38.33 min
Walking 25%Walking 15 min Bike 4 min Overall average time for 1.78 kms 19 min
Bike 25%Bike 25.67 min Overall average time for 7.35 kms 25.67 min
- How to reach Northampton
- How to reach London
- How to reach Canterbury
- How to reach Southampton
- How to reach Bath
- How to reach Bristol
- How to reach Leeds
- How to reach Manchester
- How to reach Chester