Market Square433 Votes Currently Open
- Address: Market Street, Cambridge, England, CB2 3NZ, United Kingdom
- Timings: 10:00 am - 04:00 pm Details
- Phone: +44-1223457446
- Time Required: 02:00 Hrs
- Tags: Outdoors, Market, Square, Landmarks, Retail
You only really get to know a city once you’ve braved the hustle and bustle of its main market place. Cambridge’s Market Square is no different, with vendors by the dozens and even more loyal customers. A stone’s throw away from the city’s famous university area, visiting the market won’t be an inconvenience to you. In fact, it should be as insightful as it is fun. You can take pictures galore as well as stock up on a few groceries yourself.
The Market Square is smack dab at the heart of Cambridge, and has been the city’s marketplace since Saxxon times. It’s connected by numerous streets that all lead up to the large open air market at the centre, much like veins running towards the heart. At the centre of the market itself, is a beautiful Gothic Revival gabled fountain. In 1849, a devastating fire wiped out quite a bit of this area, damaging the fountain as well but today it stands, strong and proud and in full action!
Freshly squeezed fruit juice, a variety of delectable fruit, crunchy vegetables, clothes,record stores selling old vinyls, souvenirs and arts & crafts, lots of small places to eat food from all over the world and sweets, all mingle with the sounds of people chatting, bargaining and selling their wares. It’s a heady mix of scents and colours, sounds and tastes, and is the pulse of Cambridge, very different from the more reserved surroundings near the college areas. Every Sunday, the people are treated to an Organic Produce Market in the same square. Here, farmers bring their freshest vegetables, all grown 100% chemical free. So go ahead, grab a bite to eat, quench your thirst with some sweet juice, perhaps buy a trinket and then make your way to the rest of the city. Also, visit the popular attractions in the city by following Cambridge itinerary 1 day.
Market Square Travel Tips
- It might be refreshing to meet passionate people who not only believe in their products and produce, but can tell you how it's made or produced as well.
Market Square Hours
- Closed on Sundays, though there’s an Organic Market on those days.
How to Reach Market Square
- The free shuttle can be used, Monday to Saturday, from Market Square, Corpus Christi College, Fair Street, Jesus Lane and Trinity Street. Buses leave each station at 15 minute intervals.
- Pret a Manger (Fastfood)
- Ta Bouche Restaurant (Continental)
- Baroosh-Cambridge (British)
- Don Pasquale (Italian)
- Nanna Mexico Petty Curry (Mexican)
Love this? Explore the entire list of places to visit in Cambridge before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Cambridge and book an accommodation of your choice.
34.75% of people who visit Cambridge include Market Square in their plan
12 PM - 1 PM
60.61% of people start their Market Square visit around 12 PM - 1 PM
People usually take around 2 Hrs to see Market Square
59.34% of people prefer walking in order to reach Market Square