Bombard yourselves with the beauty of art, history, and culture at the Fitzwilliam Museum with Fitzwilliam Museum tickets in your pockets. While the admission to the museum is free of cost and you don't necessarily require tickets for Fitzwilliam Museum, it is advisable to buy tickets for Fitzwilliam Museum from our tickets section as it provides a complete experience of the marvelous museum with an explanatory tour guide. Check for the Fitzwilliam Museum ticket prices before booking.
Art, culture and history merge together to form the remarkable Fitzwilliam Museum. This creative haven attracts around half a million people every year and for good reason. Visitors are left absolutely charmed at the variety and quality of exhibits, which range from antiquities and coins to paintings and rare manuscripts. Its rooms are filled with wondrous tales and volumes of information, all begging to be absorbed by curious minds.
Created in 1816, the museum was initially filled with treasures from the library and art collection of the 7th Viscount FitzWilliam, who felt it was vital that Cambridge University had its own museum. Over time, the collection grew, resulting in the extension of the museum building by two entire stories in 1931. Its collection continued growing and today, it is spread out into five separate departments, each with a unique theme.
Upon entering, you’ll notice that the Fitzwilliam Museum - a history the museum in itself is as much a work of art as its contents are, with its stark white columns and Neo Classical façade. Its main entrance, based around Greek and Roman designs, is still in perfect condition. Its architecture spans several stylistic ages, creating a visual timeline of architectural evolution and within these finely crafted halls, lay different kinds of artistic delights. Each room will ensure thata visit to this museum will fill you up, mind and soul.
Would you like to surround yourself with the bright and beautiful, the macabre and the maudlin, all splashed out in strokes of brilliance upon canvas? Then the ‘Paintings, Drawings and Prints’ section will give you immense pleasure, with its amazing array of Anglo-American, Dutch, Flemish, French, German and Italian artwork, including masterpieces byTitian, Van Dyck, Monet, Renoir and Picasso.
- Can you read music and revel in the classics? Then their collection of 16th century Elizabethan virginal manuscript music will send shivers down your spine.
- If you’re a culture vulture, prepare to devour ancient antiquities from Ancient Egypt, Sudan, Greece and Rome in the ‘Antiquities’ room. There are also Chinese, Japanese and Korean artwork and rugs.
- Its other main sections are titled ‘Applied Arts’, ‘Coins and Medals’ and ‘Manuscripts and Printed Books’.
- Pick up souvenirs for your loved ones at Fitzwilliam Museum shop, which is actually the Fitzwilliam museum gift shop. Also, visit the popular attractions in the city by following Cambridge itinerary 1 day.
The Fitzwilliam Museum Travel Tips
- The museum is wheelchair accessible and also features Fitzwilliam museum disabled parking which is commendable.
- There are ‘Fitz Kits’ and trail especially for families with children.
- There are two cloakroom facilities available at the Museum: self-service lockers at the Courtyard Entrance and an attended service at the Main Entrance Information Desk.
- There’s a gift shop and a cafe.
- Visitors are not permitted to carry items on their backs. Bags and other items larger than 45x35x15cm (except wheelchairs, mobility aids and pushchairs) may not be taken into galleries, but can be taken into the shop and cafe.
- Contact the management for information on Fitzwilliam Museum tours.
- There is a lift to all floors located near the Courtyard Entrance.
- Do leave a donation for the upkeep and maintenance of this splendid museum.
How to Reach The Fitzwilliam Museum
- The museum is within walking distance from the city centre.
- The nearest railway station is Cambridge, with taxis and frequent buses to the city centre.
- Cambridge railway station has frequent services from London, Stansted Airport, Peterborough (connecting with the main East coast line) and the Midlands.
- There are Park and Ride facilities as well.
- High Table Restaurant (English)
- Mo’Pho: Far East Street Food (Asian, Vegetarian, Vietnamese)
- Loch Fyne (Seafood, British)
- The Bombay Brasserie (Indian)
Love this? Explore the entire list of places to visit in Cambridge before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Cambridge and book an accommodation of your choice.
95% of people who visit Cambridge include The Fitzwilliam Museum in their plan
10 AM - 11 AM
53.54% of people start their The Fitzwilliam Museum visit around 10 AM - 11 AM
People usually take around 2 Hrs to see The Fitzwilliam Museum
62.13% of people prefer walking in order to reach The Fitzwilliam Museum
The Fitzwilliam Museum Reviews & Ratings
how do I obtain admission tickets for the museumAnswer Report Abuse
Any info please on 'the chalk drawing by Rosseti. Just seen something on Anglia TVAnswer Report Abuse
You will find this drawing at the museum as "the chalk study" by Dante Gabriel Rossetti was given to Cambridge's Fitzwilliam Museum as part of a bequest.Report Abuse
Is there an exhibition of Women's art on at present? or have I missed it?Answer Report Abuse
No exhibition related to that subject at presentReport Abuse