National Portrait Gallery, Canberra
National Portrait Gallery - A Quick Overview[Contribute/Review]
Address: King Edward Terrace, Canberra, 2600, Australia
Time Required: 02:00 Hrs
Timings: 10:00 am - 05:00 pm Details
Added 3.8K times in trip plans
Family And Kids, Photo Gallery
Chalk out a plan in minutes with this holiday itinerary building app
Are you associated with this business? Get in touch
About National Portrait Gallery, Canberra
An amazing tribute to all the personalities that have shaped the country of Australia, a visit to the National Portrait Library will provide an exceptional insight to the visitors about people who have had a big role in Australia’s progress.
There are film screenings and art talks that take place in the museum and make for an interesting education.
National Portrait Gallery Information
- Wheelchairs and strollers are available, bookings are recommended.
- Large bags and backpacks cannot be taken into the Galleries but the Cloakroom is available for their storage during your visit. Due to copyright restrictions no cameras or mobile phones are to be used in the galleries.
- For bus timings visit ACTION buses website.
National Portrait Gallery Ticket Prices
- Entry is free except for major exhibitions.
How To reach National Portrait Gallery by Public Transport
- King Edward Tce train station before Bowen Drive and The Parkes place is nearest to the gallery.
- ACTION bus routes 2, 3, and 934 run from the various city centres past this Gallery regularly.
Restaurants Near National Portrait Gallery
- Portrait Gallery Cafe
- Waters Edge
- Sculpture Garden Restaurant
Love this? Explore the entire list of things to do in Canberra before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Canberra and book an accommodation of your choice.
National Portrait Gallery, Canberra Reviews
Nice place to visit, sufficient (paid) parking available underground. Variety of portraits thru the ages to modern ones including various mediums such as canvas and also photography etc. Very quiet and chilled out place. No fee required, but donations encouraged. Art and portrait aficionados will appreciate. Allowing 1 hour when visiting would be sufficient.
A fantastic gallery that highlights some of the greatest achievements of Australians across many fields such as entertainment, fashion, charity, science, politics and more. I don't think I have read so many plaques in a gallery before but I found each personal individual story to be really engaging and incredibly interesting. In addition, you also get great artwork so it makes for enhanced storytelling. Allow at least 2 hours for the main gallery exhibits.
One of the BEST Art Galleries I have visited Anywhere ! It has a Kids Play & Create Space as well. Something for everyone, Convenient Parking nearby. Free entry to Gallery. Wonderful collection of Australian Achievers from All walks of Life. Well Done !!
Another well made and spacious gallery. Interesting seeing all various people's of influence in Australia's modern history from the 1780s up until today. I liked that there were public easels in the foyer, where you could sketch a portrait of the hired musician, very thematic
Enjoy breakfast or lunch on the deck overlooking the estate. Service is good, just one or two waiters that need to learn how to serve and clear tables. The gallery contains interesting historical portraits as well as some brand new ones. I can help but feeling that most of those portraits are there because the corporations don't want to hang them in their halls
- Attractions near National Portrait Gallery
- University Bar
- Black Mountain Nature Park
- Australian National Botanic Gardens
- Parliament House
- Kingston Terrace Serviced Apartments
- National Capital Exhibition
- National Zoo And Aquarium
- Crowne Plaza Canberra
- National Film And Sound Archive
- Rugby Union Club
- High Court Of Australia
- Recently Added Point of Interest in Canberra
- Canberra Theatre Centre
- Australian Capital Territory Legislative Assembly
- Dawn Drifters Hot Air Balloon Rides
- Canberra Museum And Gallery
- Wattle Park Uniting Church
- National Arboretum
- Canberra City Yha
- Australian National University
- The Australian National University