National Portrait GalleryCurrently Closed
- Address: King Edward Terrace, Canberra, 2600, Australia
- Timings: 10:00 am - 05:00 pm Details
- Phone: +612-61027000
- Time Required: 02:00 Hrs
- Tags: Family And Kids, Photo Gallery
National Portrait Gallery - Review
An amazing tribute to all the personalities that have shaped the country of Australia, a visit to the National Portrait Library will provide an exceptional insight to the visitors about people who have had a big role in Australia’s progress.
There are film screenings and art talks that take place in the museum and make for an interesting education. Also, visit the popular attractions in the city by following Canberra itinerary 1 day.
National Portrait Gallery Information
- Wheelchairs and strollers are available, bookings are recommended.
- Large bags and backpacks cannot be taken into the Galleries but the Cloakroom is available for their storage during your visit. Due to copyright restrictions no cameras or mobile phones are to be used in the galleries.
- For bus timings visit ACTION buses website.
National Portrait Gallery Ticket Prices
- Entry is free except for major exhibitions.
How To reach National Portrait Gallery by Public Transport
- King Edward Tce train station before Bowen Drive and The Parkes place is nearest to the gallery.
- ACTION bus routes 2, 3, and 934 run from the various city centres past this Gallery regularly.
Restaurants Near National Portrait Gallery
- Portrait Gallery Cafe
- Waters Edge
- Sculpture Garden Restaurant
Love this? Explore the entire list of things to do in Canberra before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Canberra and book an accommodation of your choice.
Things to Know Before Visiting National Portrait Gallery
95% of people who visit Canberra include National Portrait Gallery in their plan
1 PM - 2 PM
64.93% of people start their National Portrait Gallery visit around 1 PM - 2 PM
People usually take around 2 Hrs to see National Portrait Gallery
55.13% of people prefer walking in order to reach National Portrait Gallery
National Portrait Gallery Map
National Portrait Gallery Trips
1 View22 Days 21 Nights22 Day Trip to New York City, Toronto, Washington,By: Guest UserCity: Washington D. C., New York City, Toronto
National Portrait Gallery, Canberra Reviews
Visiting as part of a tour and enjoyed the collections of photos and contemporary art pieces. Beautifully designed, near city center. We arrived by bus but one also walk. It's a good place for a functional visit. We were catered as well as part of the tour. Great experience as we had the gallery to ourselves.
Outstanding museum showcasing exceptional portrait collection both historical and modern. The extensive selection of photos and paintings by Australian and International Artists were truly a great joy to see. The museum is mostly free except for the featured collections. It's only a few minutes walk from the National Gallery and the National Library. It features a nice cafe for you to sit and enjoy a cup.
A small gallery but it holds a great collection of portraits of prominent Australians and early colonials. Convenient parking under the gallery. Also has a gift/book shop and café. Situated close to the National Gallery of Australia, so you can plan to see both in the one trip.
Nice place to visit, sufficient (paid) parking available underground. Variety of portraits thru the ages to modern ones including various mediums such as canvas and also photography etc. Very quiet and chilled out place. No fee required, but donations encouraged. Art and portrait aficionados will appreciate. Allowing 1 hour when visiting would be sufficient.
One of the BEST Art Galleries I have visited Anywhere ! It has a Kids Play & Create Space as well. Something for everyone, Convenient Parking nearby. Free entry to Gallery. Wonderful collection of Australian Achievers from All walks of Life. Well Done !!
All QuestionsNational portrait gallery
- Aghagallon & Ballinderry Parish
- Arts Coritani
- Swineshead Railway Station
- Mick Barrett Racing
- The Close
- Merlin's Cave Crystal Mineral & Fossil Museum & Shop
- King Arthurs Great Halls & Gift Shop
- Cornish Heritage Safaris
- Tintagel Visitors Centre
- The National Trust
- Peter Pracownik And Another Green World Tintagel
- North Shore Gallery
- English Heritage
- The Headland Caravan & Camping Park
- The Malice In Underland Workshop