Cancun is a beautiful city in the South of Mexico. Located in the State of Quintana Roo, the place is engulfed in picturesque beaches of every kind. The pristine beaches and the amazing marine life together make Cancun excursions idyllic. Blue water, white sands, green palms and a whole lot of history and culture make trips to Cancun memorable ones. The turtles, dolphins, sharks as well as several other species of coastal animals as well as birds adorn this place. The country is blessed with astonishing natural wealth and Cancun is a storehouse of it.
But it isn’t just what is in Cancun but also what is around it that makes it so popular. The city is a sort of a tourism hub. Mexico has a very rich Mayan heritage with several of their stone structures still dotting the landscape. Several of the Mayan historic sites are within a few hours of Cancun. As a result a lot of the tourists prefer to stay here and travel to the neighboring places.
Cancun itinerary must include Chichen Itza, Tulum, Playa de Carmen and Isla Mujeres. Cancun was a part of the ancient Mayan civilization and is still considered the gateway to El Mundo Maya (the Mayan World). Easily accessible by bus or hired taxi, these sites add to the city’s natural beauty and make Cancun an exotic location for tourism. Holidays in Cancun are indeed one of the best vacations you can have. If you’re looking for a place with great weather, pumping nightlife, many accommodation options and some of the coolest activities in Mexico, Cancun is where you want to be. Home to the world’s second largest barrier reef, Cancun is an ideal place for scuba diving and snorkeling. Some of the most beautiful beaches in the world are in and around Cancún making it Latin American’s most important leisure destination. Each one of you should explore things to do in Cancun at least once and experience all that it has to offer considering the best time to visit Cancun.
Essential travel information and Cancun tips for your visit
- Time Zone: Cancun follows the UTC/GMT -5 hours. Daylight Saving Time (DST) changes do not necessarily occur on the same date every year.
- Currency: The currency operational in Cancun is Mexican peso.
- Electricity: The standard Cancun electricity supply is 110 volts. Hotels usually offer voltage converters for 220 volt devices. Many sockets do not accept polarized or three-prong plugs so it is recommended that you bring your own adapter but you can usually buy these in the hotel shop.
- Internet: Axtel is a large company that offers Internet service throughout Mexico along with other digital services. You can get high speed internet facilities in almost all the hotels that you stay in here.
- Language: The predominant language spoken in Cancun is Spanish.
- Emergency contacts: Police- 884-1913, Tourist Information: 884-8073, Medical Help: 871-2052
- Tipping: The average tip for service is 10-15% and one or two dollars per suitcase carried. Always check your bill first as tips may already be included.
Mexico has very strict laws when it comes to defacement of currency. No bills that have been torn can be passed in Cancun—not even as tips or petty change.
When shopping or clubbing, stay with the crowds. No city in the world should be walked alone at night. Even a safe place like Cancun is best explored in a group.
One thing is to be remembered that sunscreen is only effective here if it is waterproof. It is highly unlikely that you will never get in the ocean or a pool, so think beyond your tan when protecting your skin.
Cancun Trip Planner
Plan your customized day by day trip plan for Cancun. Choose from various experinces categories as adventure, romantic and family and kids friendly for your trip using using Cancun trip planner.
The best tours and activities in the city, guided by experts to give you a local insight to the best of Cancun
Save 10%Exclusive: Early Access to Chichen Itza from Cancn
10 Hrs1263 Reviews
Save 8%Rio Secreto Underground River Tour with Crystal Caves
3 Hrs 30 Mins123 Reviews
Save 8%Chichen Itza Day Trip from Cancun
12 Hrs1458 Reviews
Save 10%ATV, Ziplines and Cenote Tour at Extreme Adventure Eco Park Cancun
3 Hrs 30 Mins116 Reviews
Save 10%Reef and Shipwreck Snorkeling Tour in Cancun
3 Hrs 30 Mins134 Reviews
Hi do I need a passport to visit Cancun from Trinbago. If yes then where else has a similar price range as there or Margarita.Answer Report Abuse
Yes, if you are a US citizen then you will need a passport to travel to Cancun. But it also depends on your method of entry to Mexico. You may not need a passport, but passport cards are needed. You can also consider Costa Rica as an option.Report Abuse