The Chilham Castle is a gorgeously stunning manor. The kinds you see on beautiful postcards! The origins of the castle are still clouded but it is known that in the year 699, Wihtred, King of Kent, signed a charter at a place called Cilling, where there was probably a wooden fort. During archaeological excavations in the 1920s, it was figured out that the present structure stands on another, much older Anglo-Saxon fortification. Tessa and Stuart Wheeler bought Chilham Castle in April 2002. With the help of architects, historians, builders, friends and interior specialists, the Wheelers refurbished the castle, completing the project in December 2004. A private property since then, it is advised to book an appointment in advance before visiting the castle.
Chilham Castle Travel Tips
- Understand that Chilham Castle gardens are part of a private home and are not therefore open on a daily, commercial basis.
Entrance Ticket Details For Chilham Castle
For non open days, private tours can be arranged for a group of 10 people or more.
This will cost:
- Self tour of the gardens: 5 pounds per person.
- Guided tours of the gardens: 8 pounds per person.
- Historical tours of the gardens and house: 10 pounds per person.
Chilham Castle Hours
- Please visit the ‘upcoming events’ calendar on the official website to know about open days.
How to Reach Chilham Castle
- Taylors Hill (W-bound) bus stop
- Taylors Hill (E-bound) bus stop
Love this? Explore the entire list of places to visit in Canterbury before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Canterbury and book an accommodation of your choice.
22.66% of people who visit Canterbury include Chilham Castle in their plan
09 AM - 10 AM
34.67% of people start their Chilham Castle visit around 09 AM - 10 AM
People usually take around 2 Hrs to see Chilham Castle
93.33% of people prefer to travel by car while visiting Chilham Castle