Are you looking for what to do in Cape Town?
PLACES TO SEE
- Table Mountain: Table Mountain got its name from the white cloud that can almost always be seen resting on top of it, looking like a table cloth. It has 11 viewpoints from where you can look out over the magnificent city of Cape Town and is home to a variety species of flora and fauna. There are four ways to get to the top of this majestic sight – you can go on a walking trail, hike up, use a rock-climbing route or take the popular rotating cable car to the top.
- Kirstenbosch National Botanical Garden: Kirstenbosch was founded to preserve the indigenous flora of South Africa and is the first known botanical garden in the whole world with this nature. It is known around the world for its rich bio-diversity and beautifully themed gardens that work to create an unforgettable memory for all who visit it. During the summer months, Sundays are picnic days at Kirstenbosch for locals and tourists alike. People flock to the garden with their baskets and blankets and enjoy the tranquility of nature or one of the many open air concerts on show during that time.
- Robben Island: Robben Island is a 30minutes ferry ride off the coast of Cape Town and was named a world heritage sight in 1999. Upon visiting the island, visitors are taken on a tour of the maximum security prison that jailed several political prisoners including a first-hand view of the cell where Nelson Mandela spent 27 years of his life. A 45minutes bus ride is then taken around the rest of the island to show people more about its history.
THINGS TO DO
- Shopping: Shopping in Cape Town is not only fun but so easy to do because there are several malls and markets just about everywhere you go. Outdoor markets are quiet popular and the ones at Muizenberg and Greenpoint specifically are quite popular. Here you will be able to find almost any item from handbags to a pair of jeans, exquisite hand-crafted items like paintings and wooden African carvings are also sold as souvenirs.
- The V&A Waterfront is one of Cape Town’s biggest attractions. Inside the mall itself you will find rows and rows of shops selling local wares as well as international designer brands. Fast food chains and gourmet restaurants complete the trip to the Waterfront.
Below we have a list of things to do in Cape Town and the places where you want to spend the best moments of your trip. At the same time, the city offers you the best neighborhoods to explore and new foods to try.
This list should help you in deciding and prioritizing what you should plan on your Cape Town getaway. Find a mix of must-see tourist spots, underrated local hangouts, and maybe even a few new experiences you can try out.
Make the most of your trip to Cape Town with confidence.