Doctor Who Experience Cardiff Bay695 Votes Currently Open
- Address: Discovery Quay, PorthTeigr | Butetown, Cardiff CF10 4GA, Wales, United Kingdom
- Timings: 10:00 am - 05:00 pm Details
- Phone: +440-8448013663
- Time Required: 01:00 Hrs
- Tags: Museums, Exhibition
With a life sized TARDIS, a range of colourful costumes right out of the show and Dalek and Cyberman models of every type, the Doctor Who Experience in Cardiff Bay will have you yelling “Allons-y!” Get ready to step into the world of the Doctor, in all his different avatars through the ages and surrounded yourself with every creation made in the Doctor Who universe.
The exhibit opened its doors to the London public in 2011 and was moved to Cardiff the next year. This is fitting as the show is filmed in and around the city, including a new BBC studio that’s opened up on Cardiff Bay. Designed by Sarner Ltd., the Experience is a multi-sensory amusement exhibit, with videos narrated by the present day Doctor, Matt Smith. Fans of all ages will relish this exhibition, and make sure to book your tickets in advance as on the spot tickets aren’t available many times.
The adventure begins as you step inside the TARDIS and prepare yourself for an interactive ‘episode’. A short film briefs you, as a group of Weeping Angels and Daleks, led by the 11th Doctor, pass by. This spectacular quest will call upon your services to help the last of the Doctors defeat his foes! After visitors are done with their escapade, they’re free to roam around the rest of the exhibitions which span across two floors.
- This collection is the world’s most extensive gathering of original objects from the show. There’s a de-activated chess playing Cyberman and a giant Christmas snow globe containing the newest doctor and partner should take you down the memories of the episodes they’re from.
- Fans will be thrilled at the sight of original costumes from all 11 seasons of the show. Space age props, alien costumes and prosthetics, sonic devices and the interiors from previous models of the TARDIS are all on display, amongst many other artefacts.
- Specially crafted sets and imagery will allow you to get a first-hand experience of Doctor Who, behind the scenes. You’ll learn how the special effects that make this tv show iconic are created and the thought process behind each of the scary monsters that exist in this world.
- Museum goers are also invited to take photos in front of a green screen that will transform your surroundings into the back drop of your choice. You can be reclining at Trotter’s Lane or battling monsters, all from the safety and comfort of the museum!
Doctor Who Experience Cardiff Bay Travel Tips
- There are numerous packages and options to choose from, visit the official website for more information.
- Though there are a limited number of tickets available on the spot, it’s highly recommended you books in advance.
- For all online and telephone bookings, the sales agent will usually charge a booking fee per ticket purchased and/or a transaction fee. Booking fees vary but will typically be from £1.25 per ticket for children to £1.75 per ticket for adults to £5.60 for a family ticket. Transaction fees may vary and will be typically from £0.00 to £1.75 per transaction. (Correct as of 26/2/2013)
- Proof of disability will be required onsite for carer ticket collection, which will be free of cost.
- The Doctor Who Experience is fully accessible for wheelchair users, though the number that can enter at a time is limited, so call the box office in advance. There are two wheelchairs available onsite which can be reserved free of charge.
- Tour groups are restricted to smaller groups of 4-6 in the set.
- There is an unmanned cloakroom at the entrance to the Doctor Who Experience where items can be deposited.
- Unfortunately, tickets are not refundable due to the nature of the Experience.
- For Sat Nav use CF10 4PH which will take you to the Waterside/ Pier Head Street Multi Story Car Park in Cardiff Bay. It is then a short ten minute walk to the venue.
Entrance Ticket Details For Doctor Who Experience Cardiff Bay
- Adult : £13, Child (5-16 yrs) : £9
- Under 5’s : free
Doctor Who Experience Cardiff Bay Hours
- Open every day during school holidays.
- The last time of entry is 03:30 pm.
How to Reach Doctor Who Experience Cardiff Bay
- Bus and Coach: The "Baycar" number 6 bus service connects the Doctor Who Experience with the Cardiff city centre, as well as Cardiff Central railway station.
- It's a 15 minute taxi or bus journey to the Experience from Cardiff Central station.
- The Waterguard (Welsh, English)
- Nando’s (English)
- Strada (Italian)
- Bayside Brasserie (European)
- Bosphorous Turkish Restaurant (Mediterranean)
Love this? Explore the entire list of places to visit in Cardiff before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Cardiff and book an accommodation of your choice.
48.33% of people who visit Cardiff include Doctor Who Experience Cardiff Bay in their plan
10 AM - 11 AM
69.59% of people start their Doctor Who Experience Cardiff Bay visit around 10 AM - 11 AM
People usually take around 1 Hr to see Doctor Who Experience Cardiff Bay
62.71% of people prefer to travel by car while visiting Doctor Who Experience Cardiff Bay