Doctor Who Experience Cardiff Bay, Cardiff
About Doctor Who Experience Cardiff Bay, Cardiff
Doctor Who Experience Cardiff Bay, Cardiff - Address, Phone Number
Address: Discovery Quay, PorthTeigr | Butetown, Cardiff CF10 4GA, Wales, United Kingdom
Time Required: 01:00 Hrs
Timings: 10:00 am - 05:00 pm Details
Added 5.3K times in trip plans
Try TripHobo to create your itinerary
Are you associated with this business? Get in touch
With a life sized TARDIS, a range of colourful costumes right out of the show and Dalek and Cyberman models of every type, the Doctor Who Experience in Cardiff Bay will have you yelling “Allons-y!” Get ready to step into the world of the Doctor, in all his different avatars through the ages and surrounded yourself with every creation made in the Doctor Who universe.
The exhibit opened its doors to the London public in 2011 and was moved to Cardiff the next year. This is fitting as the show is filmed in and around the city, including a new BBC studio that’s opened up on Cardiff Bay. Designed by Sarner Ltd., the Experience is a multi-sensory amusement exhibit, with videos narrated by the present day Doctor, Matt Smith. Fans of all ages will relish this exhibition, and make sure to book your tickets in advance as on the spot tickets aren’t available many times.
The adventure begins as you step inside the TARDIS and prepare yourself for an interactive ‘episode’. A short film briefs you, as a group of Weeping Angels and Daleks, led by the 11th Doctor, pass by. This spectacular quest will call upon your services to help the last of the Doctors defeat his foes! After visitors are done with their escapade, they’re free to roam around the rest of the exhibitions which span across two floors.
- This collection is the world’s most extensive gathering of original objects from the show. There’s a de-activated chess playing Cyberman and a giant Christmas snow globe containing the newest doctor and partner should take you down the memories of the episodes they’re from.
- Fans will be thrilled at the sight of original costumes from all 11 seasons of the show. Space age props, alien costumes and prosthetics, sonic devices and the interiors from previous models of the TARDIS are all on display, amongst many other artefacts.
- Specially crafted sets and imagery will allow you to get a first-hand experience of Doctor Who, behind the scenes. You’ll learn how the special effects that make this tv show iconic are created and the thought process behind each of the scary monsters that exist in this world.
- Museum goers are also invited to take photos in front of a green screen that will transform your surroundings into the back drop of your choice. You can be reclining at Trotter’s Lane or battling monsters, all from the safety and comfort of the museum!
Doctor Who Experience Cardiff Bay Information
- There are numerous packages and options to choose from, visit the official website for more information.
- Though there are a limited number of tickets available on the spot, it’s highly recommended you books in advance.
- For all online and telephone bookings, the sales agent will usually charge a booking fee per ticket purchased and/or a transaction fee. Booking fees vary but will typically be from £1.25 per ticket for children to £1.75 per ticket for adults to £5.60 for a family ticket. Transaction fees may vary and will be typically from £0.00 to £1.75 per transaction. (Correct as of 26/2/2013)
- Proof of disability will be required onsite for carer ticket collection, which will be free of cost.
- The Doctor Who Experience is fully accessible for wheelchair users, though the number that can enter at a time is limited, so call the box office in advance. There are two wheelchairs available onsite which can be reserved free of charge.
- Tour groups are restricted to smaller groups of 4-6 in the set.
- There is an unmanned cloakroom at the entrance to the Doctor Who Experience where items can be deposited.
- Unfortunately, tickets are not refundable due to the nature of the Experience.
- For Sat Nav use CF10 4PH which will take you to the Waterside/ Pier Head Street Multi Story Car Park in Cardiff Bay. It is then a short ten minute walk to the venue.
Doctor Who Experience Cardiff Bay Ticket Prices
- Adult : £13, Child (5-16 yrs) : £9
- Under 5’s : free
Doctor Who Experience Cardiff Bay Opening and Closing Hours
- Open every day during school holidays.
- The last time of entry is 03:30 pm.
How To reach Doctor Who Experience Cardiff Bay by Public Transport
- Bus and Coach: The "Baycar" number 6 bus service connects the Doctor Who Experience with the Cardiff city centre, as well as Cardiff Central railway station.
- It's a 15 minute taxi or bus journey to the Experience from Cardiff Central station.
Restaurants Near Doctor Who Experience Cardiff Bay
- The Waterguard (Welsh, English)
- Nando’s (English)
- Strada (Italian)
- Bayside Brasserie (European)
- Bosphorous Turkish Restaurant (Mediterranean)
Love this? Explore the entire list of things to do in Cardiff before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Cardiff and book an accommodation of your choice.
Doctor Who Experience Cardiff Bay, Cardiff Reviews - Write a Review
The interactive game of the experience is aimed at younger ages, but the staff work really hard to sell the made-up drama of it. The best part by far was the exhibition beyond, and as a Doctor Who fan of old, it was clear from the start, that it was the biggest of its kind to date, overflowing in costumes and props. While some from the older episodes are replicas, they're produced so well it doesn't matter. Just the sight of some Classic props "in the flesh" is exciting. The recreated TARDIS console rooms are a wonder to behold. Once again, I can't thank the staff enough for their tireless support and help during the exhibition section, very attentive and nice to talk to.
It was great! Lots for fans old and new and creativity busting through walls (literally). There's a little wait to start with and some parts might frighten smaller children, but that's part of the fun!
A hugely enjoyable experience for any Doctor Who fan. A truly wonderful introductory guided tour through various Doctor Who scenarios followed by free time in a large collection of memorabilia from all stages of the Doctor Who genre including costumes, characters, artifacts etc. The only problem we had was that on arrival there was a queue of people standing adjacent to the ticket booths which we assumed was people buying tickets. It turned out that this was not the case and was, in fact, people with tickets waiting to be admitted to the guided tour. It is a great shame that this venue is closing in September. Hopefully it will be relocated so that others may enjoy it as much as we did.
This was by far the most interesting and remarkable museum I have ever been to. It allowed me to, once again, dive into the marvelous, fascinating and fantastic world of Doctor Who, but this time in real life. It's such a shame that it will close it's doors at the end of this summer. Go ahead and visit it as long as you can. You certainly won't regret it.
A great place to view real Dr who props close up. You could have a good couple of hours looking and photographing all your favourite Dr who characters. It is a shame it is now closed we will miss it
- Nearby Attractions
- The Vaults
- The Clink Cymru
- Saint Davids
- Escape Rooms Cardiff
- Brecon Mountain Railway Co Ltd
- Cardiff, Central Station Ne2 (rear Entrance)
- The Angel Hotel
- Cardiff Day-wise Trips
- What to See in 24 Hours in Cardiff
- What to See in 48 Hours in Cardiff
- What to See in 72 Hours in Cardiff
- How to Spend 5 Days in Cardiff
- How to Spend 6 Days in Cardiff
- How to Spend 7 Days in Cardiff