The heart of cosmopolitan Cardiff, welcome to the recreation and retail hub of the city, Mermaid Quay. Your senses will be met by a vast array of delicious smells wafting from the numerous restaurants situated here, the beautiful sight of the glittering bay, and sounds of music and laughter. There’s no lack of diversity here, with fine dining options as well as snack bars that are easy on the wallet. Shops range from stylish boutiques to quaint little stores and there are a few gems here, such as the Glee Club and Ken Picton’s award winning hair salon and spa.
Mermaid Quay was opened in August 1999 and was the center of the developmental projects around the bay. Today, the area is known to be chic, captivating and a particularly pretty waterfront area. Eat, drink, primp, pamper and indulge yourself in retail therapy at some of the biggest brands in U.K. Pet friendly and family focused, this neighborhood has something for everyone.
- If you’re tired, jet lagged or want to spend a special day pampering yourself or loved ones, you’ll be delighted at the top quality spas and salons on the Quay. Gift someone a massage or get your hair done, all while overlook the blue waters of the bay.
- For foodies, Mermaid Quay will be a definite delight. Japanese, Italian, South American, French, Turkish, Oriental, Mediterranean, Portuguese and Welsh cuisines will create fireworks upon your palate! There’s even a Gourmet Burger Kitchen! Whether you want a healthy, crunchy submarine sandwich or some sinfully delicious pastries, you’ll find it all. There are a few eateries which locally source their food as well.
- If there’s a last minute gift you need to pick up or a memento for home, there are numerous galleries and fashionable gift shops from where you can buy sweet little trinkets, fancy chocolates and Welsh handicrafts.
- Tips and Warnings: Whether you are looking to occupy a unit or run an exhibition, promotion or a market stall - Mermaid Quay has a range of opportunities for operators of all sizes.
- There are also opportunities for authorised filming, photography, busking and charity collections.
- Mermaid Quay is a dog friendly area.
- It gets very crowded during the evenings.
- Boat: Aquabus provides a waterbus service travelling from Mermaid Quay to Cardiff Castle via Penarth.
- Bus: Routes 8 and 35. The Baycar Bendybus links Cardiff Bay with Cardiff Queen Street Station, Dumfries Place, Greyfriars Road, St. Mary Street and Cardiff Central railway station.
- Train: Frequent rail services operate Mondays to Saturdays with connections at Queen Street station from the rest of the Valleys and Cardiff local routes network.
- Ba Orient (Chinese, Thai)
- Bhosphorus Turkish Restaurant (Mediterranean)
- Demiro’s (European, Mediterranean)
- Zizzi (Italian)
- Salt (Breakfast, brunch)
Love this? Explore the entire list of things to do in Cardiff before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Cardiff and book an accommodation of your choice.
40.2% of people who visit Cardiff include Mermaid Quay in their plan
3 PM - 4 PM
42.68% of people start their Mermaid Quay visit around 3 PM - 4 PM
People usually take around 2 Hrs to see Mermaid Quay
74.39% of people prefer to travel by car while visiting Mermaid Quay
Sophie our waitress was amazing. We did the family wine tasting and food/ wine / service was superb! Can't wait to go back and would highly recommend to friends and family! :)
First people there on a Friday night, drinks not included with the 50% off with first table which is fine. The red wine was amazing and as was the food (the grande), a little slow on service and ordered olives as a side which didn't come. With the food. I do recommend if you live. In Cardiff
Really nice place to eat. Service is 1st class. And so friendly.
After looking at university with my son we stopped here for early evening meal. We had tapas which was tasty, good value and quickly served. A good place to stop for a while and spend too much.
Great food friendly staff fast service a must place to go