National Museum And Art Gallery427 Votes Currently Open
- Address: National Museum Cardiff, Cathays Park, Cardiff, CF10 3NP, United Kingdom
- Timings: 10:00 am - 05:00 pm Details
- Phone: +440-2920397951
- Time Required: 04:00 Hrs
- Tags: Art And Culture, Art Gallery, Museums, Natural History Museums
Art, natural history and geology intertwine to form the captivating National Museum and Gallery, a sight that’s perfect for inquisitive explorers and art enthusiasts alike. Its unparalleled exhibitions and events, including a highly visually pleasing depiction of the evolution of Wales, thrill all kinds of people, from curious college kids to festive families.
Founded in 1905, it came into being when the city was gifted the “Welsh Museum of Natural History, Archaeology and Art” Its doors were opened to the public in 1927 and today, its vast collection of archaeology, botany, fine and applied art, geology and zoology make it stand out.
A visit to the museum today will keep you busy. Hung at eye level, you can study each soft stroke and lovingly created composition as you walk through the exhibits which display over 500 years of work.
- You’ll be able to surround yourself with a great variety of artwork, from local artists whose works document the changing Welsh society, to internationally renowned painters such as Money, Sisley, Bonnard and Hogarth.
- There are different collections of beautifully painted porcelain tea sets from China as well as locally made. Combined with intricately patterned silverware, delicate glasswork and some contemporary ceramics, the Applied Art section is quite exquisite.
- Wales was once filled with woolly mammoths, dinosaurs and a host of other great beasts! ‘The Evolution of Wales’ is a fantastic exhibit that spans the birth of the country, right from the Big Bang and 4,600 million years hence, which is where we stand today.
- Explore the colourful woodlands, the darkness beneath the seas, Skomer Island and the variety of life that thrives on, in and under all these areas in the Natural History section. You’ll marvel and the sheer enormousness of the huge models of the Basking Shark and Humpback Whale and stare in awe at the eerie pitcher plant and 1.2 meter giant earthworm.
- The Clore Discovery Centre is where you can actually study fossils, insects and ancient weaponry under microscopes and even bring in your own objects for identification. There’s also a section where all kinds of talks, performances and live demonstrations take place.
Have you ever thought that when you buy tickets for National Museum and Art Gallery of Cardiff tours, you will be offered an engaging world of art and natural history and geology at one place only! National Museum and Art Gallery tickets offer you a plethora of knowledge domains in comparison to the small amount that is charges. Tickets for National Museum and Art Gallery assure you a session of enlightenment regarding the present and past world around us. And if you are thinking what are the National Museum and Art Gallery ticket prices, you can visit our tickets section for detailed information.
National Museum And Art Gallery Travel Tips
- Tips and Warnings: The museum closes during demonstrations/protests held by the Public and Commercial Services (PCS) union.
- Children under 11 must be accompanied by an adult at all times.
- There is wheelchair access to all galleries. Most galleries can be visited independently, but lifts to some galleries must be operated by a Museum Assistant for security reasons. There are signs indicating the location and operating instructions of all lifts. Museum staff is nearby to help.
- A variety of seating is available throughout the Museum.
- The Evolution of Wales, Natural History and Man & the Environment galleries all have audio material to support the visual exhibits.
- Only assistance dogs are allowed on site.Dogs must leave the premises to relieve themselves and staff will assist in identifying a suitable area.
- Parking charges are £5.
How to Reach National Museum And Art Gallery
- On Foot/ Bicycle: The Museum is 20 minutes walk from Cardiff Central Bus and Train Station.
- Bus: From Cardiff Central Bus Station take bus number 53 or 85 to the Museum. From Cardiff Bay take the Bay Car bus number 6.
- Razzi Restaurants (Italian)
- Bellini’s (Italian)
- Fortune House (British)
- Park House Club and Vanilla Rooms (British)
Love this? Explore the entire list of places to visit in Cardiff before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Cardiff and book an accommodation of your choice.
29.53% of people who visit Cardiff include National Museum And Art Gallery in their plan
10 AM - 11 AM
90.7% of people start their National Museum And Art Gallery visit around 10 AM - 11 AM
People usually take around 4 Hrs to see National Museum And Art Gallery
93.1% of people prefer to travel by car while visiting National Museum And Art Gallery