This is one of the places that you would wish remained a secret! You might initially judge this club like city by its size. But wait until the locals get out to strut all their fancy jazz! Owing to its laidback vibe and several resorts, the city was bestowed with the title of a resort town way back in the 18th century. Its beautiful location and quaint locales has several artists and writers being drawn to it. Thus, Carmel-by-the-Sea tourism is mostly dominated by a plethora of art galleries.
To feel the real beat of this city, however, all you have to do is take a stroll down its streets flanked by houses reminiscing those English countryside houses with peculiar stone architecture and chimneys. If you are planning to visit Carmel-by-the-Sea, don’t miss out on its attractions of Point Lobos State Reserve, Carmel City Beach/Carmel River Beach, Seventeen Mile Drive, Scenic Road Walkway and San Carlos Borromeo de Carmelo Mission among more.
Carmel-by-the-sea Travel Tips
Essential travel information and Carmel-by-the-sea tips for your visit
- Time Zone - Pacific Standard Time (PST). UTC/GMT -8hours.
- Currency - Currency used in Carmel by the sea is US Dollars (USD).
- Electricity - The standard electrical voltage in Carmel is 120 Volts and 60 Hertz alternating current. The power sockets used are of type A and B. Check your electrical devices for their voltage consumption and use adapters if necessary.
- Internet - Almost all the hotels in Carmel by the sea provide free WI-FI connectivity and there are free Wi-Fi hotspots throughout the city, especially in the major public spots.
- Languages - American English is the most widely spoken language in Carmel. Apart from English, Spanish and French are some of the other languages spoken in Carmel.
- Security - General Emergency: 911, Police Department: (831) 624-6403, Fire Department: (831) 620-2030.
- Tipping - Tipping is expected in Carmel by the sea. It is advisable to tip around 15-20% of the pre-tax bill.
- Customs - Be on time, because the Americans are very serious about punctuality. And be wary of your surroundings. Cleanliness and hygiene are much expected.
- Be sure to look after your belongings. Especially, when you are walking alone in the nights.