Events and Festivals in Carolina, Puerto Rico
Events and Festivals in Carolina
- San Sebastian Street Festival and Ponce Carnaval: Each January the San Sebastian Street Festival takes place in Old San Juan. Hawkers on the street sell local food, handmade crafts, and to entertain tourists, they provide rides and you enjoy the festive atmosphere mingled with music. During the day locals wear traditional red, yellow and blue vejigantes. A vejigantes is a folk lore character and to represent this the locals wear ornate masks of all colours and a costume with bat-like wings.
- Casals Festival: The Casals Festival offers guests the opportunity to listen to live classical and chamber music. It was founded in 1956 by Pablo Casals, renowned cellist, conductor, and composer. The piano and organ are the 2 most important instruments but now violin, bass and the cello is used. The clarinet, flute, and bassoon are some other instruments that are also played during the classical performance. It lasts for 22 days, from February 19 till March 12.
- Maricao Coffee Festival: The Maricao Coffee Festival celebrates the end of the coffee harvest season each February. Parades, music, coffee stalls, and arts and crafts booths typify this event.
- PGA Tour's Puerto Rico Open: The first PGA event in Puerto Rico takes place in March of each year at the Trump International Golf Club. This international event draws people from all parts of the world.
- Corona Pro Surf: Also held in March is the Corona Pro Surf Tournament in Rincon. This competition is a 2 Star professional surf competition. International surfers compete with each other and locals take part as well for the top title.
- National Salsa Day: Dance the day away on National Salsa Day. The music and dance festival is an expression that has gone around the world and become one of the most popular and easily identifiable example of Latin American and Caribbean music and dance. It is held at Hiram Bithorn Stadium, something easily included into your Carolina trip planner.
- Taste of Rum: Sample a variety of rums and Caribbean fare while listening to live music. At The Taste of Rum festival and there is a charge to drink.
- Puerto Rico Heineken Jazz Fest: At the end of March, beginning of April, some of the biggest names in Latin Jazz join together at the Tito Puente Amphitheatre in San Juan to present a cool jazz concert. There is an atmosphere of great satisfaction, as the audience admire the artistry behind this festival.
- Ladies Crafts Fair: The wide range of handmade craft is sold during this fair. There are sculptures and other handicraft made of wood, clay, ceramics, glass and textiles. It’s a shame that not enough Carolina itineraries include these.
- Rincon International Film Festival: More than 85 films are screened over the course of five days in April of each year at the Rincón International Film Festival. Attendees are treated to feature films, shorts, documentaries, animated features, and music videos in both Spanish and English. Awards are given to the best in each category.
- Saborea Puerto Rico: This is the island's annual food festival. The chefs offer up the best food and beverages of the year.
- Puerto Rico is a very religious place and the people of Puerto Rico like to dedicate, and celebrate, their Patron San Fernando in the month of May. Join the parade; enjoy local music, food and crafts.
- Crafts Fair held in July has traditional masks on display as well as local handicrafts. Depending on your taste you can pick up articles with mixtures of catholic traditions with local and African elements, in them, all very bold and colourful.
- Carolina International Jazz Festival: Live jazz music, food, and craft booths take over the Isla Verde Municipal Services Centre in Carolina each August. The piano is the main theme of the Carolina International Jazz Festival. Those attending the 2 day festival will get the opportunity to enjoy the music of some of the best pianist from Puerto Rico.
- Puerto Rico Conservatory of Music International Percussion Festival: In August the Puerto Rico Conservatory of Music hosts workshops for and concerts by percussionists from around the world. A percussion instrument is a musical instrument that is sounded by being struck or scraped by a beater (including attached or enclosed beaters or rattles). This is an international festival and draws a lot of crowd from around the world.
- Roberto Clemente Week: He was a Puerto Rican professional baseball player. He was a Major League Baseball right fielder who played 18 seasons for the Pittsburgh Pirates from 1955 through 1972. Clemente was involved in charity work in Puerto Rico and Latin American countries during the off seasons, often delivering baseball equipment and food to those in need. He died in an aviation accident on December 31, 1972, while en route to deliver aid to earthquake victims in Nicaragua.
- Festival of Puerto Rican Music: The Festival of Puerto Rican Music is a celebration of traditional music such as plena and bomba. The event takes place in November.
Trip plans for Carolina
The best trip plans created by users and travel experts that cover the top spots and attractions of Carolina
Events & Festivals in Top Cities in Puerto Rico
- Events & Festivals in San Juan
- Events & Festivals in Fajardo
- Events & Festivals in Aguadilla
- Events & Festivals in Dorado
- Events & Festivals in Cabo Rojo
- Events & Festivals in Culebra