Portuguese for ‘Hell’s Mouth’, Boca do Inferno is a rift formation at one of the seaside cliffs in Cascais. The intense and mysterious name of the chasm and its natural beauty make it a popular tourist attraction.
The chasm seen on the cliff of ‘Hell’s Mouth’ is the result of strong water waves crashing onto the cliff surface rapidly and repeatedly. This caused the surface to collapse, giving it a mouth like natural arch. During summer the waters merely make a soothing splash. But in winters, the full force of the Atlantic waves comes crashing onto the cave and is quite a dramatic sight.
Legend has it that an evil sorcerer lived in a castle on these cliffs. He abducted a beautiful woman and held her captive in the castle. She was discovered by a man who fell in love with her and helped her escape. The jilted sorcerer unleashed a dreadful storm to destroy the rocks where the women and her beau walked thus causing the large gaping hole.
- Tourists can take a closer look at Boca do Inferno by climbing down the cliff from one of many designated pathways.
- Boca do Inferno is also one of the best places to purchase souvenir items. There are stalls close to the cliff site which offer a good deal on many lovely little items.
The area has many cafés and restaurant. But if you are not in the mood to sit and dine, you can purchase a nice little snack from the wandering vendors.
Boca Do Inferno Travel Tips
- Boca do Inferno is a 40 minute walk from the town centre.
- If the waves get too high, the path down to the cliff’s mouth may be closed off for safety purposes.
- Restaurante Mar do Inferno
- La Bonne Etoile
- Jardim Cerveja
Love this? Explore the entire list of places to visit in Cascais before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Cascais and book an accommodation of your choice.
95% of people who visit Cascais include Boca Do Inferno in their plan
09 AM - 10 AM
46.84% of people start their Boca Do Inferno visit around 09 AM - 10 AM
People usually take around 1 Hr to see Boca Do Inferno
81.54% of people prefer to travel by car while visiting Boca Do Inferno