The lighthouse of Santa Marta is a beautiful monument where the ocean begins and Cascais ends. Given Portugal’s connection to the sea based explorations as well as a thriving shipping industry, it is easy to imagine the indispensable role that lighthouses must have played in its history. The Santa Marta Lighthouse Museum is an initiative to explore the science and heritage behind Portuguese lighthouses.
Apart from the museum, the attraction has an ancient fort and a functional lighthouse on the premises. The fort had been constructed in mid-17th century as part of the region’s coastal defence. The lighthouse began operating in 1968 and was fully mechanized in 1981.
- In the museum, visitors can see lighthouse optical devices on display. The technological history of Portuguese lighthouses is put forth through various symbolic artefacts in exhibition.
- Watch a small, multilingual documentary on the lighthouses of Portugal which provide a general outline of the museum’s collection as well as introduces the visitors to 5 centuries of maritime history.
- The lighthouse keepers have long retired. But the museum recreates the fascinating nuances of their profession through a 3-D film and a collection of artefacts from a lighthouse keepers daily life.
Santa Marta Lighthouse Museum Travel Tips
- The closing time varies slightly from season to season.
- Remember to carry sunglasses. The white facade makes the place terribly bright on a sunny day.
How to Reach Santa Marta Lighthouse Museum
- By bus: Take ‘busCas’ from the city centre that runs every 10 minutes.
- Restaurante The Mix
- Hemingway Cascais
- Jardim Cerveja
Love this? Explore the entire list of places to visit in Cascais before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Cascais and book an accommodation of your choice.
42.87% of people who visit Cascais include Santa Marta Lighthouse Museum in their plan
12 PM - 1 PM
62.5% of people start their Santa Marta Lighthouse Museum visit around 12 PM - 1 PM
People usually take around 1 Hr to see Santa Marta Lighthouse Museum
52.38% of people prefer to travel by car while visiting Santa Marta Lighthouse Museum
People normally club together House Of Stories Paul Rego Or Casa Das Historias Paula Rego and Cascais Old Town while planning their visit to Santa Marta Lighthouse Museum.