Catania Cathedral, Catania
About Catania Cathedral, Catania
Catania Cathedral, Catania - Address, Phone Number, Ticket Price
Address: Via Vittorio Emanuele, 163, Catania CT, Italy
Ticket Price: 10 EUR
Time Required: 01:00 Hrs
Timings: 09:00 am - 02:00 pm Details
Added 6K times in trip plans
Try TripHobo to create your itinerary
Are you associated with this business? Get in touch
The holy site of martyrdom of Saint Agatha, Duomo Di Catania or Catania Cathedral is considered a local landmark and dates back to 11th century and was built in the Normal style of architecture. Destroyed later in the earthquake of 17th century, it was reconstructed in the Baroque style.
The longitudinal building has three naves with a transept and three apses in Norman lava stone. The remains of the original Norman cathedral can be still seen in some places. Six pillars of the old cathedral were used in the reconstruction and still stand strong.
The inside of the Cathedral is proportionate and there is a tomb dedicated to the famous composer Vincenzo Bellini who was also a citizen of Catania. The Chapel of our lady houses number of tombs of the kings of Aragon and two Sarcophagi including the one of wife Frederick III.
In the right apse of the Cathedral, there are sculptures and Frescos dedicated to the patron Saint Agatha. The cathedral also exhibits a 1669 Fresco depicting the eruption of Mount Etna and the disastrous lava that took over the city.
Stunning Frescos, huge choir stalls and various tombs make it worth a visit.
Catania Cathedral Information
- Guided tours are available.
- Mass timings can be found out locally.
Catania Cathedral Ticket Prices
- The ticket price includes entry to Museum and thermal baths.
- The ticket price for Museum is 7 Euro and baths is 5 Euros.
Catania Cathedral Opening and Closing Hours
- The given timing is for museum and thermal baths, the Cathedral is open 24 hours.
- Closing time of museum on Saturday is 01:00 pm.
- On Sundays, admission by appointment only.
How To reach Catania Cathedral by Public Transport
Restaurants Near Catania Cathedral
- Museo cafe Catania
- Sicilia In Bocca Alla Marina
Love this? Explore the entire list of things to do in Catania before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Catania and book an accommodation of your choice.
Catania Cathedral, Catania Reviews - Write a Review
- Nearby Attractions
- Museo Civico Al Castello Ursino
- Studio Franzo Zagarella
- Monte Zoccolaro
- Sentiero Schiena Dell'asino
- Via Crociferi
- B&b Da Gianni E Lucia Catania Centro-catania City Center
- Stair Of The Turks
- Isola Bella
- Bed & Breakfast Imbriani 117 Catania
- Catania Day-wise Trips
- What to See in 24 Hours in Catania
- What to See in 48 Hours in Catania
- What to See in 72 Hours in Catania
- How to Spend 5 Days in Catania
- How to Spend 6 Days in Catania
- How to Spend 7 Days in Catania