Catania CathedralCurrently Open
- Address: Via Vittorio Emanuele, 163, Catania CT, Italy Map
- Timings: 09:00 am - 02:00 pm Details
- Phone: +39-095320044
- Ticket Price: 10 EUR
- Time Required: 01:00 Hrs
The holy site of martyrdom of Saint Agatha, Duomo Di Catania or Catania Cathedral is considered a local landmark and dates back to 11th century and was built in the Normal style of architecture. Destroyed later in the earthquake of 17th century, it was reconstructed in the Baroque style.
The longitudinal building has three naves with a transept and three apses in Norman lava stone. The remains of the original Norman cathedral can be still seen in some places. Six pillars of the old cathedral were used in the reconstruction and still stand strong.
The inside of the Cathedral is proportionate and there is a tomb dedicated to the famous composer Vincenzo Bellini who was also a citizen of Catania. The Chapel of our lady houses number of tombs of the kings of Aragon and two Sarcophagi including the one of wife Frederick III.
In the right apse of the Cathedral, there are sculptures and Frescos dedicated to the patron Saint Agatha. The cathedral also exhibits a 1669 Fresco depicting the eruption of Mount Etna and the disastrous lava that took over the city.
Stunning Frescos, huge choir stalls and various tombs make it worth a visit.
Catania Cathedral Travel Tips
- Guided tours are available.
- Mass timings can be found out locally.
Entrance Ticket Details For Catania Cathedral
- The ticket price includes entry to Museum and thermal baths.
- The ticket price for Museum is 7 Euro and baths is 5 Euros.
Catania Cathedral Hours
- The given timing is for museum and thermal baths, the Cathedral is open 24 hours.
- Closing time of museum on Saturday is 01:00 pm.
- On Sundays, admission by appointment only.
How to Reach Catania Cathedral
- Museo cafe Catania
- Sicilia In Bocca Alla Marina
Love this? Explore the entire list of places to visit in Catania before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Catania and book an accommodation of your choice.
- Catania Cathedral Address: Via Vittorio Emanuele, 163, Catania CT, Italy
- Catania Cathedral Contact Number: +39-095320044
- Catania Cathedral Timing: 09:00 am - 02:00 pm
- Catania Cathedral Price: 10 EUR
- Best time to visit Catania Cathedral(preferred time): 09:00 am - 01:00 pm
- Time required to visit Catania Cathedral: 01:00 Hrs
- Try the best online travel planner to plan your travel itinerary!
38.62% of people who visit Catania include Catania Cathedral in their plan
11 AM - 12 PM
69.18% of people start their Catania Cathedral visit around 11 AM - 12 PM
People usually take around 1 Hr to see Catania Cathedral
55.15% of people prefer to travel by car while visiting Catania Cathedral
People normally club together Fontana Dell' Amenano and Palazzo Biscari while planning their visit to Catania Cathedral.
Catania Cathedral Reviews & Ratings
What time do they offer masses and Eucharistic adoration? I will be in town June 7 through June 10. is there a specific altar that you meet at for mass or is it in the main church? Thank you and God bless you. AndreaAnswer Report Abuse
what time is sunday mass timing thank youAnswer Report Abuse
Mass timings can be found out locally.Report Abuse