Cesky Krumlov Tourism
CeskyKrumlov is a UNESCO World Heritage Site, with one of the best-preservedhistorical centers in Europe. It’s often been called the perfect Fairy Tale city. Established in the 13th century, the town was first a German settlement, with a Czech minority, ruled by the House of Rosenberg. This communal disparity was heightened with the influx of German miners after gold was found here in the 16th century. The town changed hands from Emperor Rudolf II to Emperor Ferdinand IIto the House of Eggenberg and most recently to the House of Schwarzenberg. During these transitions it evolved from a Gothic to Renaissance to Baroque Town. From the beginning of WWI to the end of WWII, the town changed national allegiance multiple times until the Germans were finally expelled, and it became an entirely Czech town. Communist rule hit the town hard, but the non-violent Velvet Revolution restored the town to its former pristine beauty. Today, the town is revered for its incredibly rich and detailed historical monuments, the megalithic castle (which very unusually large for a town this small), and largely lush countryside.
Essential travel information and Cesky Krumlov tips for your visit
- Time Zone: CET (UTC+1)
- Currency: the Czech Korun (CZK)
- Languages: Czech, German, English, French.
Electricity and Internet
- Voltage: 230 V
- Frequency: 50 Hz
- Power sockets: Type E
- 112 Emergency
- 150 Fire brigade
- 155 First aid
- 156 Town police
- 158 State police
- Moldavite Museum - Muzeumvltavinu
- 10% is expected in tourist areas.
- Don’t judge service by whether they smile or not, just by how efficient they are.
- Count your change when received back.
- CeskyKrumlov Castle
- Museum Fotoatelier Seidel
- Latran houses
- Czechs are fairly conservative.
- Czechs have a dark sense of humor.
- Give your seat up to elders.
- Take shoes off before entering a dwelling.
- The Czech sense of personal space is much smaller than others.
- Nepotism and sycophancy are accepted as normal.
The best tours and activities in the city, guided by experts to give you a local insight to the best of Cesky Krumlov
Save 5%Cesky Krumlov Old Town Private Walking Tour
3 Hrs10 Reviews
Save 5%Private evening tour Cesky Krumlov Old Town and Castle area
2 Hrs1 Reviews
Save 5%Private one way transfer from Cesky Krumlov to HallstattNew on TripHobo
Save 5%Private Tour: Cesky Krumlov Day Trip from Prague
10 Hrs2 Reviews
Save 7%Private Transfer from Cesky Krumlov to Prague
2 Hrs1 Reviews
Save 7%Daily Door to door Shared Shuttle bus from Cesky Krumlov to SalzburgNew on TripHobo