Grand BassinCurrently Open
- Address: Chamarel, Mauritius, 001
- Timings: 24-hrs Details
- Ticket Price: Free
- Time Required: 04:00 Hrs
- Tags: Religious Site, Temple, Family And Kids, Lake, Nature
Grand Bassin - Review
This is a crater lake located in the mountain area at a distance of approximately 20 kilometres from Chamarel. At a height 1800 feet above the sea level, this is a scared place for Hindus in Mauritius. The temples dedicated to Lord Shiva, Lord Hanuman and Goddess Laxmi grant the grand Basin the serenity and tranquillity.
Hundreds of devotees walk to the temple bare feet and the Hindu festival of Mahashivratri is a highlight of the temple. It is celebrated in the temple from 1897.
The new feature of the Ganga Talo is the 33 metre tall statue of Hindu god Shiva which is the replica of the Shiva Statue of Sursagar Lake in Vadodara. It was inaugurated in 2007 and is the highest known statue in Mauritius.
Grand Bassin Information
- Maintain peace
- Modest dressing is recommended
How To reach Grand Bassin by Public Transport
- Taxi, rented car, tourist bus
Love this? Explore the entire list of things to do in Chamarel before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Chamarel and book an accommodation of your choice.
Things to Know Before Visiting Grand Bassin
95% of people who visit Chamarel include Grand Bassin in their plan
11 AM - 12 PM
18.83% of people start their Grand Bassin visit around 11 AM - 12 PM
People usually take around 4 Hrs to see Grand Bassin
95% of people prefer to travel by car while visiting Grand Bassin
Grand Bassin Map
Grand Bassin Trips
Grand Bassin, Chamarel Reviews
What a lovely place it is...! Just loved the temples and holy Gaga Talao... it’s a must visit place for Hindus.
Pious place to visit for those in search of a spiritual experience. However to enjoy the quiet and peacefulness of the holly lake must be visited in week days early in the morning. Few people, less cars and less noise and very peaceful indeed.
Visiting a temple is always good fun. Alot of castings of the Asian gods and a place of great worship. A must see for any traveller in Mauritius
A place of worship for all Hindus in Mauritius, large parking available, a sacred place, a nice place to visit.
The statue of Shiva at Grand Bassin is breathtaking. Something that you need to see for yourself. An unforgettable experience - do visit this spot while in Mauritius.
All QuestionsGrand bassin
- Chafariz Na Fragosela De Cima Em Viseu
- Fonte De Fragosela Em Viseu
- Pelourinho De Oliveira Do Conde Em Carregal Do Sal
- Monumento Brasil Portugal Em Carregal Do Sal
- Escultura Em Homenagem Ao Comendador José Nunes Martins Em Carregal Do Sal
- Orca Do Outeiro Do Rato Em Carregal Do Sal
- Solar Dos Soares De Albergaria
- Casa Grande De Oliveira Do Conde Em Tondela
- Fonte De Oliveira Do Conde Em Carregal Do Sal
- Pelourinho De Alvarelhos Em Carregal Do Sal
- Orca 1 Do Ameal Em Carregal Do Sal
- Monumento à Independência De Portugal Em Carregal Do Sal
- Penedo Da Víbora Em Carregal Do Sal
- Inscrições De Oliveira Do Conde Em Carregal Do Sal
- Orca De Santo Tisco Em Carregal Do Sal