Mer De Glace, Chamonix
About Mer De Glace, Chamonix
Mer De Glace, Chamonix - Address, Ticket Price
Address: 74400 Chamonix-Mont-Blanc, France
Ticket Price: 29 EUR
Time Required: 04:00 Hrs
Timings: 10:00 am - 05:00 pm Details
Added 4.7K times in trip plans
Temple, Outdoors, Cave, View Point, Family And Kids, Adventure, Nature
Try TripHobo to create your itinerary
Are you associated with this business? Get in touch
The Mer de Glace is the largest glacier in France. Spread across 7 kms., the glacier is around 200 meters deep. A perfectly adventurous skiing spot, thousands of skiers follow the glacier down to the Montenvers Railway station after skiing the famous ‘Vallee Blanche’. Attractions at the Mer de Glace include the Ice Cave, the Temple de la Nature and the Glaciorum.
Mer De Glace Information
- The approach to the Ice Cave has around 400 steps. Not wheelchair accessible.
Mer De Glace Ticket Prices
- Adult (16+)- €29.50
- Child (4-15): €25.10
- Note: Rates mentioned include a total package- the train ride, the cable ride and the attractions.
Mer De Glace Opening and Closing Hours
- Timings mentioned are for the little train that travels up to the glacier.
- First train to leave from the station is at 10 am. Intervals of 20-30 minutes. Last train to leave from the glacier for the return journey is at 4.30 pm or 5.00 pm (seasonal timings apply).
How To reach Mer De Glace by Public Transport
- The Montenvers rack railway.
Restaurants Near Mer De Glace
- Grand Hotel du Montenvers (The Montenvers Hotel)
Love this? Explore the entire list of things to do in Chamonix before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Chamonix and book an accommodation of your choice.
Mer De Glace, Chamonix Reviews - Write a Review
If you like hiking, rather hike up to the glacier, its easy accessible and a beautiful path, well marketed and it will take you around 2-3 hours, depending on your level of fitness. Alternatively, you can hike on the way down and take the train first. Enjoy it!
very nice travel to the ice sea of Mont Blanc, it's fantastic the moment spend on this litlte old train and the station on top is beautiful, a recommended attraction
To reach this place u hav to walk for certain distance... The train available here r taking u to uphill nd downhill for every 30mins u will get a train to move up nd down.. Its a old fashioned place nd u can see a engine placed at station with its history
Very nice train and overall ride
Lovely old fashioned train that goes up the mountainside with lovely views on the way. Goes to Mer de Glace, a beautiful glacier sadly melted enormously since the railway was built. From here you can get down to the glacier (by cable car and a walk down 420 steps) and go inside it through a man made tunnel. A great trip.
- Nearby Attractions
- Hôtel L'héliopic
- Le Morgane
- Compagnie Du Mont-blanc
- Pointe Isabelle
- Cinema Vox
- Refuge Des Grands Mulets
- Aiguille Du Midi
- Chamonix Day-wise Trips
- What to See in 24 Hours in Chamonix
- What to See in 48 Hours in Chamonix
- What to See in 72 Hours in Chamonix
- How to Spend 5 Days in Chamonix
- How to Spend 6 Days in Chamonix
- How to Spend 7 Days in Chamonix