Visit Chanderi - Best of Chanderi
Famous for the Chanderi Sarees that are produced here since the Mughal period, Chanderi is a small town with a big story. The place find it roots in the Jain Culture and the Shri Choubeesee Bara Mandir, Shri Khandargiri Jain temple and Shri Chandraprabha Digambar Jain temple are the most unique places you will see when here.The story of the famous Battle of Chanderi in which the Mughal Emperor Babur captured the city from Medini Rai, still echoes in the Chanderi Fort.
The mystique of Chanderi lies in its Mythology and you can even find its name in the Hindu Mythology book ‘Mahabharata’ that tells the story of the world’s biggest war between 2 Royal families. Today, Chanderi’s historic secrets shine proudly in its museums that keep a part of Madhya Pradesh alive and breathing. The forts, the places of worshipthat are frozen in time and welcome anyone who wants to witness its intense stories, weave a magic that is hard to find anywhere else. The religious pulse of the city is hard to ignore and a visit to the many temples that grace the humbletown, gives you a peek into the deep belief and faith of the people.
Visit Chanderi, and you will find that spirituality has many colors and forms and even though it is a popular Jain Pilgrim center, its tourismflourishes owing to the historic architecture, simply living and rural charm. The historic monuments mainly consist of Palaces and Temples that add to the ethereal glow of not just Chanderi but the state of Madhya Pradesh as well. Add to that the sheer beauty of the ethnic handlooms and you have a unique shopping experience as well.
To explore the city best, try to cover the city on foot as you absorb its minimalistic yet enchanting buildings, warm people ambience and re-live the tales of the years gone by.
Chanderi Travel Tips
Essential travel information and Chanderi tips for your visit
- Time Zone- UTC + 5.30 hours
- Currency- INR (Indian National Rupee)
- Electricity and Internet: Voltage Output is 240 Volts
- Wi-Fi: Is available at most hotels (though not always in the room). 4G mobile internet has just been launched in India but expect 2G or 3G to function in the small town.
- Languages: Hindi and English are commonly spoken and major hoardings, milestones and signs are in these languages. Malwi, Bundeli, bagheli, Nimari are the commonly spoken regional languages while Gondi and Bhilli languages are the tribal languages spoken.
- Security: Police- 100, Ambulance –102 (all over India), Fire Brigade- 101 (all over India), Women’s Helpline- 181 (all over India)
- Off-beaten Path/ Unique experiences: Buying locally made Sareeswhen in Chanderi is recommended and is the perfect souvenir to remember the handlooms of Madhya Pradesh.
- Tipping: Tipping is applicable When travelling by Rickshaws, you can round up the bill, Bills at urban restaurants likely include a service charge. However, a small tip at local eateries is entirely by your wish.
- Customs: Greeting people with a small ‘Namaste’ will be appropriate. Do remove footwear at the entrance when you visit religious places.
Are you looking for a Chanderi travel itinerary? Create an itinerary within minutes, on your own!