Botanical Park Of CreteCurrently Closed
- Address: Skordalou Kidonias Chania Crete, Chania 730 05, Greece
- Timings: 09:30 am - 05:00 pm Details
- Phone: +30-6976860573
- Ticket Price: 6 EUR
- Time Required: 03:00 Hrs
- Tags: Mountain, Botanical Garden, Educational Site, Family And Kids, Lake, Bird Watching, Amphitheater
Looking at this 20 hectare park, 18km from Chania, it’s hard to imagine this lush wonderland was ever a victim of fire… which happened in 2003; there’s a centennial olive tree here commemorating the fire. The highlights of the park are:
- 150 species of fruit trees; and the dozens of herbs, medicinal and ornamental plants that Cretan mountains are famous for.
- Animals such as birds (around the lake area), butterflies, wild goat, hares, badgers, the Cretan rock ferret, the Cretan weasel and tree frogs.
- The Amphitheare, which can be hired for presentations, wedding receptions, small concerts, and Cretan folklore evenings of music and dancing.
- The restaurant with a majestic view of the mountains.
- To get there, take the bus from Chania, which goes Chania -Stalos - Agia Marina - Platanias - Patelari - Alikianos - Fournes - Botanical Park every day. The bus returns at 2pm. Or you could drive.
- EUR 4 for the age of (6-12).
- Free for under 6 years old.
- Bus from Chania
- Restaurant at the park
Love this? Explore the entire list of things to do in Chania before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Chania and book an accommodation of your choice.
91.27% of people who visit Chania include Botanical Park Of Crete in their plan
12 PM - 1 PM
54.12% of people start their Botanical Park Of Crete visit around 12 PM - 1 PM
People usually take around 3 Hrs to see Botanical Park Of Crete
94.39% of people prefer to travel by car while visiting Botanical Park Of Crete
One of the best places on Crete. The restaurant serves delicious food with ingredients coming from these beautiful gardens. We had food before going onto the gardens and then coming back up a light refreshments. The gardens have an amazing variety of plants and it is like your own little discovery adventure. I would come back again and again.
We visited the botanical park in early October, so there were lots of fruits hanging from the trees. These very delicious fruits were also served in the restaurant. The garden has a circular route so you can see all the plants. Halfway you can choose between the shorter walk or the longer one. The longer walk brings you to the lake and some animals (goats, donkey, ducks). There are also peacocks that roam freely throughout the garden. The walks can be a bit steep, and are definitely not wheelchair accessible.
What an unusual gem to find in the foothills of the White Mountains. Just a few years after a devastating wildfire swept through the olive and orange groves of the area, the owners have created a lush landscape with examples of plants from Mediterranean regions around the world. The result is a beautiful series of gardens ranging from the sub-tropical to the temperate, with everything growing outdoors. The gardens are worth visiting at any time of year - they'll be most colourful in spring, but are surprisingly full of colour and interest right into winter. A winding switchback of a path ensures that you get to see everything and you end up where you started, at a modern restaurant with panoramic views over the hillsides, and a short menu of quite delicious seasonal food, some quite obviously from the gardens. During the holiday season gardens and restaurant are open every day, but out of season (roughly November to April) the gardens close and the restaurant is open only at weekends - though visitors to the restaurant are still welcome to walk through the gardens. The paths are generally step-free, but the gardens are on a steeply sloped hillside and it would be difficult to take a wheelchair, but the restaurant and facilities are modern and all on one level.
When you arrive to the botanical garden, you buy your ticket (you also get a bottle of cold water) and then you begin your adventure. It's a really nice garden. When you reach the end of it you walk into a restaurant. The food and staff are great. Worth the hike around the park!
Best place in Crete!!! Soooo nice wonderful garden and the restaurant which cooks just with ingredients from the garden or from the local area, served one of the best dishes i ever ate! Nice souvenir shop with also ingredients from the garden. Everything there totally price-worth