Firkas Fortress And Maritime Museum Of Crete593 Votes Currently Open
The building was used as a barracks to house the Turkish army,to protect Chania from raiders from the sea. This was also the place where Crete’s union with Greece was celebrated. Check out the fantastic panoramic view of the harbour… and then come down to the museum.
The Maritime Museum of Crete is a red building that covers history right from antiquity to the Battle of Crete. Highlights are as follows:
- Models of Venetian Forts and Chania
- Sea shells of Greece
- Amphorae from ancient shipwrecks
- Ship models from the Bronze Age to Roman times
- Shipping in Byzantine and Ottoman times
- Exhibits from the Greek War of Independence of 1821
- Exhibits from World War II
- Reproductions of the Greek merchant fleet, cruisers, submarines
- The bridge of a World War II torpedo boat.
- The battle of Crete
Entrance Ticket Details For Firkas Fortress And Maritime Museum Of Crete
- Adults 2.50 €, Students 1.50 €.
- Children up to 6 years- free.
- Eateries along the harbour
Love this? Explore the entire list of places to visit in Chania before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Chania and book an accommodation of your choice.
75.35% of people who visit Chania include Firkas Fortress And Maritime Museum Of Crete in their plan
09 AM - 10 AM
63.85% of people start their Firkas Fortress And Maritime Museum Of Crete visit around 09 AM - 10 AM
People usually take around 1 Hr to see Firkas Fortress And Maritime Museum Of Crete
57.89% of people prefer walking in order to reach Firkas Fortress And Maritime Museum Of Crete