Old Venetian HarborCurrently Open
- Address: Old Venetian Harbor, Chania Town, Crete, Greece
- Timings: 24-hrs Details
- Ticket Price: Free
- Time Required: 08:00 Hrs
- Tags: Family And Kids, Harbour
Old Venetian Harbor - Review
This is practically the only reason people even come to Chania– A gem of natural beauty and history. As if lovely bars, cafes and restaurants in front of a seaside weren’t enough, tourists are particularly enchanted by the various monuments left behind by the foreign occupations – Venetian, Ottoman, and Egyptian. The harbour, built by the Venetians in the 14the century, quickly became known as a critical naval and commercial centre.
It’s best to walk the harbour from the west to the east, taking in the following highlights:
- Firka Fortress, and the chain that connected it’s bastion to the lighthouse.
- Akti Kountourio: The red building that was once a barracks and now houses the Maritime Museum of Crete.
- Angelou Street: Classic Venetian architecture there and some great eateries.
- Sintrivani Square
- Akti Tombazi: A line of artists capturing the harbour in paintings.
- Giali Tzamissi: The oldest Moslem building in Crete.
- Sourmelis Street: See damages leftovers from WWII.
- Stairs leading up to Kasteli Hill and the Byzantine Walls.
- Grand Arsenal: Once a repair dockyard for the Venetians, now the Center of Mediterranean Architecture.
- Akti Enoseos: Old customs building
- A collection of 7 venetian docks.
- A marina for small boats.
- The shipyards of Moro
- The breakwater that leads to the lighthouse.
- The Lighthouse, now defunct and closed, which used to hold the other end of the chain used in Defence of Chania.
Love this? Explore the entire list of things to do in Chania before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Chania and book an accommodation of your choice.
Things to Know Before Visiting Old Venetian Harbor
92.8% of people who visit Chania include Old Venetian Harbor in their plan
10 AM - 11 AM
57.24% of people start their Old Venetian Harbor visit around 10 AM - 11 AM
People usually take around 8 Hrs to see Old Venetian Harbor
61.9% of people prefer walking in order to reach Old Venetian Harbor
Old Venetian Harbor Trips
Old Venetian Harbor, Chania Reviews
The Venetian harbour is beautiful. Nice old buildings with lots of restaurateur and cafes. Especially the back streets are very beautiful with a lot of narrow streets full of nice restaurants and shops. This place is a must see location in Crete. Highly recommended. Provides lots of opportunities to take wonderful photos. We visited this harbour several times as there is so much to discover.
Great views and things to do. You have several different sight seeing boats you can jump on and explore. There's lots of shopping spots. So many choices for places sit and eat at. Also, you can walk into old town and see the old architecture of how it was back in the day. Make sure you wear comfortable walking shoes and bring sunscreen. Have fun
The old venetian Harbour is a very nice location especially by night when everybody is out for dinner and a walk. It's full of light and life, the sea is right next to you and it's so refreshing. It's also a very good location to watch the sunset. Amazing! Loved it!
How can you not love this place. A beautiful walk on a warm Summer's night Music playing that moves your soul cafes , restaurants with beautiful Cretan food I loved the cretan salads and the zucchini fritters Great markets, things to buy, lots of gifts lots of Jewellery, music playing, buskers, late night cafes open till 4 in the morning Warm atmosphere in the restaurants very Romantic with Candles on the tables . Bars specialising in cocktails. Overall a great energy loved it and love Chania. I would go back again for sure By the way I forgot to say Amazing Architecture too.
The most historic and beautiful place of Chania town! Every civilization that passed over the years left signs that we can admire to the present day! Nice place for a morning or afternoon walk, many remarkable options of cafes, bars and restaurants! Hot-spot that every visitor of Chania town has to visit!!!