Old Venetian HarborCurrently Open
- Address: Old Venetian Harbor, Chania Town, Crete, Greece
- Timings: 24-hrs Details
- Ticket Price: Free
- Time Required: 08:00 Hrs
- Tags: Family And Kids, Harbour
This is practically the only reason people even come to Chania– A gem of natural beauty and history. As if lovely bars, cafes and restaurants in front of a seaside weren’t enough, tourists are particularly enchanted by the various monuments left behind by the foreign occupations – Venetian, Ottoman, and Egyptian. The harbour, built by the Venetians in the 14the century, quickly became known as a critical naval and commercial centre.
It’s best to walk the harbour from the west to the east, taking in the following highlights:
- Firka Fortress, and the chain that connected it’s bastion to the lighthouse.
- Akti Kountourio: The red building that was once a barracks and now houses the Maritime Museum of Crete.
- Angelou Street: Classic Venetian architecture there and some great eateries.
- Sintrivani Square
- Akti Tombazi: A line of artists capturing the harbour in paintings.
- Giali Tzamissi: The oldest Moslem building in Crete.
- Sourmelis Street: See damages leftovers from WWII.
- Stairs leading up to Kasteli Hill and the Byzantine Walls.
- Grand Arsenal: Once a repair dockyard for the Venetians, now the Center of Mediterranean Architecture.
- Akti Enoseos: Old customs building
- A collection of 7 venetian docks.
- A marina for small boats.
- The shipyards of Moro
- The breakwater that leads to the lighthouse.
- The Lighthouse, now defunct and closed, which used to hold the other end of the chain used in Defence of Chania.
Love this? Explore the entire list of things to do in Chania before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Chania and book an accommodation of your choice.
92.3% of people who visit Chania include Old Venetian Harbor in their plan
10 AM - 11 AM
57.24% of people start their Old Venetian Harbor visit around 10 AM - 11 AM
People usually take around 8 Hrs to see Old Venetian Harbor
61.9% of people prefer walking in order to reach Old Venetian Harbor
Despite the 1000s of tourists visiting this part of Crete, I was amazed at how enchanting this place is. A beautiful harbour surrounded by alleyways full of Greek charm. Take your pick of the eateries, there are plenty to choose from. Soak up the atmosphere at one of the busy harbour cafès or find a more secluded place in the labyrinth of alleyways. So much to see and do your sure to return to discover what was around the next corner..
Very beautiful place for walks during the day and especially at night. I really enjoyed ever moment there. the light house is a must see during the sunset. its a very romantic place and the people are also very friendly in the area. in the morning you can see people fishing.
Many cafeterias and taverns a nice place to be overall,many shops and interesting places to visit as it was all built in the 16th century(if I'm not mistaken). Definitely will go there again.
The Venetian harbour is beautiful. Nice old buildings with lots of restaurateur and cafes. Especially the back streets are very beautiful with a lot of narrow streets full of nice restaurants and shops. This place is a must see location in Crete. Highly recommended. Provides lots of opportunities to take wonderful photos. We visited this harbour several times as there is so much to discover.
This sailing club is beautiful, and sits right next to the water looking over the harbor. the pasta here is wonderful and so are the pizzas.