Old Venetian Harbor, Chania
About Old Venetian Harbor, Chania
Old Venetian Harbor, Chania - Address
Address: Old Venetian Harbor, Chania Town, Crete, Greece
Time Required: 08:00 Hrs
Timings: 24-hrs Details
Added 5.6K times in trip plans
Light House, Water Body, Waterfront, Historical Site, Restaurant, Family And Kids, Harbour, Streets
Try TripHobo to create your itinerary
Are you associated with this business? Get in touch
This is practically the only reason people even come to Chania– A gem of natural beauty and history. As if lovely bars, cafes and restaurants in front of a seaside weren’t enough, tourists are particularly enchanted by the various monuments left behind by the foreign occupations – Venetian, Ottoman, and Egyptian. The harbour, built by the Venetians in the 14the century, quickly became known as a critical naval and commercial centre.
It’s best to walk the harbour from the west to the east, taking in the following highlights:
- Firka Fortress, and the chain that connected it’s bastion to the lighthouse.
- Akti Kountourio: The red building that was once a barracks and now houses the Maritime Museum of Crete.
- Angelou Street: Classic Venetian architecture there and some great eateries.
- Sintrivani Square
- Akti Tombazi: A line of artists capturing the harbour in paintings.
- Giali Tzamissi: The oldest Moslem building in Crete.
- Sourmelis Street: See damages leftovers from WWII.
- Stairs leading up to Kasteli Hill and the Byzantine Walls.
- Grand Arsenal: Once a repair dockyard for the Venetians, now the Center of Mediterranean Architecture.
- Akti Enoseos: Old customs building
- A collection of 7 venetian docks.
- A marina for small boats.
- The shipyards of Moro
- The breakwater that leads to the lighthouse.
- The Lighthouse, now defunct and closed, which used to hold the other end of the chain used in Defence of Chania.
Love this? Explore the entire list of things to do in Chania before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Chania and book an accommodation of your choice.
Old Venetian Harbor, Chania Reviews - Write a Review
A quiet round in march Just take a walk around. Definitely something to see there. Beautiful. You can also eat there...nevertheless the scenery is good but the restaurants look as everywhere in such places - made for tourists. ..for many tourists. If they would be the best i could not say as i haven't been inside in none .
Walking around the old city, we stumbled in to the harbour. Wow, what a view. This is a quaint little area that is surrounded by restaurants and little shops. There is some great historical sites, like the mosque and lighthouse. Great little place to spend time relaxing, and dining. We came back at night, and it was as beautiful as the day time.
One of my favourite places in the whole of Greece. We have been many times. The best place to people watch you see all sorts. The best selection of restaurants.
Spent a lot of time around this harbour. Stunning place to be and full of nice waterside restaurants cafes and bars. Boat trips go from here and you can walk the harbour walls to the old lighthouse.
Plenty of cafes and shops along here. You can even pop to the lighthouse. There are plenty of boats to watch to while away your time. Very relaxing
- Nearby Attractions
- Stelisia Rooms
- Pizza Mella
- Xylofournos Maladakis
- Indian Tandoori Food
- Odos Oneiron
- Platia Eleftheriou Venizelou
- Avis Car Hire Chania Airport - Αvis Ενοικίαση Αυτοκινήτων Χανιά Αεροδρόμιο
- Elephant Cave
- Kormoranos Bakery Cafe
- Chania Day-wise Trips
- What to See in 24 Hours in Chania
- What to See in 48 Hours in Chania
- What to See in 72 Hours in Chania
- How to Spend 5 Days in Chania
- How to Spend 6 Days in Chania
- How to Spend 7 Days in Chania