Chartres Cathedral1043 Votes Currently Open
- Address: 16 Cloitre Notre Dame, 28000 Chartres, France
- Timings: 08:30 am - 07:30 pm Details
- Phone: +33-237215908
- Time Required: 02:00 Hrs
- Tags: Family And Kids, Cathedral
They say this is one of the greatest achievements in the history of architecture. This exquisitely resolved building has housed the tunic (Sancta Camisia) of the Blessed Virgin Mary since the ninth century period - making it a leading pilgrimage center. It is a triumph of Gothic architecture. The highlights of this church are as follows:
- The two flying buttresses
- The mismatched West spires
- The rose windows and the nine incredibly ornate Portals
- A magnificent choir screen
- A 16th-century agriculture clock
- The labyrinth
- The beautiful stained glass windows
- The 105m bell tower, is that tallest still standing Romanesque steeple in the world
You can also climb the 350 steps stairs north tower, for a fee, but the view is totally worth it; access is from behind at the Cathedral bookshop.
You may also enter the cathedral crypt for a fee but tours are guided only.
Entrance Ticket Details For Chartres Cathedral
- Three euros to enter the crypt.
- €7.5 to enter the north tower.
- Entry is free.
Chartres Cathedral Hours
- The tower closes at 5:30 PM.
- Visits to the crypt are by guided tour only; the crypt is closed on Sundays and holidays.
- The labyrinth is open only on Fridays.
How to Reach Chartres Cathedral
- Get to there on foot.
- Le Parvis
- Creperie La Picoterie
- La Vieille Maison
Love this? Explore the entire list of places to visit in Chartres before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Chartres and book an accommodation of your choice.
95% of people who visit Chartres include Chartres Cathedral in their plan
09 AM - 10 AM
50.75% of people start their Chartres Cathedral visit around 09 AM - 10 AM
People usually take around 2 Hrs to see Chartres Cathedral
72.73% of people prefer walking in order to reach Chartres Cathedral
Chartres Cathedral Reviews & Ratings
Do you have a Christmas market? If yes, what are the dates? Where is it located?Answer Report Abuse